Logitech releases PowerShell controller with integrated battery for iPhone/iPod touch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

logitech powershell controller battery iphone ipod touch gaming mobile gaming ios 7

Yesterday belonged to MOGA as they unveiled the first iPhone / iPod touch gamepad with full iOS 7 support but today, Logitech is taking their shot with the PowerShell game controller. Much like the Ace Power, the PowerShell is compatible with the iPhone 5 / 5c / 5s and the fifth generation iPod touch and includes an integrated battery to keep your device juiced during gameplay.

At first glance, the PowerShell looks an awfully lot like the Ace Power but there are several subtle and key differences. For starters, the integrated battery is a bit smaller in Logitech’s offering at 1,500mAh versus the 1,800mAh power pack in the Ace Power. It still functions the same, however, allowing you to charge your device as you play.

The Logitech controller connects via the Lightning port as does the MOGA accessory but in terms of actual controls, the PowerShell is missing the dual analog sticks. Whether or not the analog sticks will actually be useful for mobile gaming has yet to be determined although they’ve proven incredibly useful on consoles over the years.

The Logitech PowerShell is priced identically to the Ace Power at $99.99 so it’ll ultimately come down to which configuration / layout / brand you prefer. It’s available as of writing from Best Buy and is expected to hit the Apple Online Store today as well with a broader release slated for sometime next month.

Do you think these controllers will be a hit or are they little more than the next fad in mobile gaming?

Permalink to story.

In 2-3 years this will be obsolete. Phone makers are changing their new devices' size/dimensions. I haven't seen a game on the mobile platform that deserves this kind of controller - a finger or two usually works for 95% of the mobile games. Now, if you can combine this with some VR goggles and games, that would be a difference maker.

Oh yeah VR isnt even mainstream for computers yet... but lets bring it out for our phones. Of course these will be obsolete in 3 years... so will the phone itself.

I think the MOGA controller is more flexible than this one... The sliding mechanism and swappable inserts could (in theory) allow it to survive through more revisions of the iPhone/iPod than one that is fully rigid, like the Logitech appears to be.

Uhm, when I type PowerShell in the Windows start menu something happens. What could be wrong? I get a black window that says "Microsoft PowerShell"!

I'm not their target market. As you can see from my Avatar, I'm not the biggest Apple fanbooi in the constellation, also I'm not the least bit interested in mobile gaming but I think these devices will appeal to a lot who are not of my ilk. If a company like Logitech releases something like this you can rest assured they did a bit of homework before wasting money on development although I doubt it'll sell like Sony's & MS's consoles.

Back