Logitech Revue on older TV -- is it possible?

xXxZxXx

Can I hook up a Logitech to an older tv that just has rca jacks and coaxial I plan on getting an HDTV but I got this this right now because of the price drop in the Revue, and was curious if their was anything that I could use it on my older tv till I got a new one? Thanks

Go here - http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue - and scroll down - you'll see all the different interconnects you can use. The simple answer to your question is no... you'll need HDMI to connect this device. I also ordered one yesterday just to play with (since they're so cheap now) and I'm curious about what I'll be able to do with this device.

Well, some HDMI apparati are compatible with converter boxes from HDMI to common RCA + coaxial etc. However, I suspect strongly that the Revue needs the HDMI interconnection for more than just information streaming. It probably uses the TV's internal system to display certain options correctly and whatnot blablabla (way over my head).

So basically, I personally would not try this device with that television. I'd get a HDMI compatible television first, just to be safe :)

If you still wanna try hooking up the apparatus, you'd definitely need a converter box. HDMI sends digital data, and that's an analogue television you got there (RCA + coaxial) = needs converter box.

Ok, I got ya, appreciate all the feedback was just trying to find out before I tried buying any HDMI to RCA. LNC, you ordered yours at the same time as mine, I got it because it was cheap and I read that it was suppose to be getting the Android Honeycomb update, and that suppose to bring a punch of new things so figured I'd get it while it was cheap, if they decide to up the prices once the update comes back out. LNC you should let me know if its any good for the price or at all. Thanks again!

Will do - I expect it to arrive on Monday. First thing I'm gonna try is to put 3.1 on it (I need my flac support) and then I'll be testing it with 720p and 1080p mkv's over the network. If that works then I'll try mkv's with DTS audio (I've heard bad things about this) and maybe even some other media players available on the android market. Hope it all works out as it would be a great addition to my downstairs TV which almost never gets used.

Got my Revue in Monday - plugged it in on Tuesday and played with it for about 2 hours. I didn't bother installing the Android 3.1 beta yet as I want to see what I've got first so I can see the difference. Here's what I did:

Step 1 - Install DLNA server on my fileserver... I went with mediatomb after reading a few user reviews and since there was a clean package for it in the repo
Step 2 - configure sources in DLNA server (this is the most cumbersome part so far... but not too bad)
Step 3 - plug in my Revue and finish the "First Run Setup." This involves adjusting the image on your screen, joining your network (I decided on wireless since I'm so far away from my computer room or TV room), specifying your TV so that the keyboard can control it, adding your STB (cable box which I did not include since my cable box is in the TV room), and finally running a system update which I assume brought it up to Android 2.1.

At this point I have a very usable device... surprisingly capable and able to play most of my video files from my DLNA server. I tried a few SD .avi files which all played flawlessly followed by some SD .ogm files which also played without issue. Next I tried some 720p mkv files with .264 + ac3 audio - those too played flawlessly with less than a second of pre?buffering before video actually started playing. Next was 720p video containing .264 + DTS audio - these files played but without audio for the most part. I had a couple files formatted this way that did play audio and I'm at a loss as to why those worked. Everything I've read says it shouldn't play DTS audio. Next I tried 1080p mkvs containing .264 + ac3 - these came very close to being playable but skipped every 20-30 seconds (I assume due to wireless bandwidth as I doubt it was a processing cycles issue since the working playback was smooth as butter.) Finally I tried 1080p mkvs containing .264 + DTS - surprisingly this played back smoothly but without sound and no skipping or stuttering. That's probably due to the complete dropping of the audio.

My flac didn't load at all, but it might be an issue with my mediatomb setup, I'll work on that when I get some time. Everything I've read says that it shouldn't work before updating to Android 3.1 beta. Flac support is included in the OS starting at 3.1. I don't have any mp3s to test on and didn't have time to encode any just for this test.

Photo viewing was flawless but you'd expect that to work after getting any video working. The slideshow worked like any typical slideshow would.

Youtube playback via the built in Youtube app was flawless - but I wish it was a little more friendly with fullscreening and resolution selection. The trackpad works fine, but can still be a little touchy when you're in a hurry. I was hoping for something more integrated like the Plex Youtube add-in.

Application selection is pretty abysmal on this device by default. The apps that are there are really pretty useless and the only things of use are the half-useful media player and Chrome browser. In fact, all the Youtube app really does is launch the Chrome browser at the Youtube page.

I'll be doing my Android 3.1 beta update over the next couple of days barring the release of 3.1 official in the immediate future. I just want to make sure I get as much of this working before I do any real tweaking so I can appreciate the update even more.

edit: Oh - I forgot to add... I've seen enough good stuff from this to go ahead and order another. Even with what I've got so far it's worth $99 in my opinion. The keyboard is also quite spiffy for this device.

Connecting Logitech Revue to older TV

Wish Logitech just put a few RCA connectors on the back. Would have saved a lot of time and money.
Anyway, my Mitsubishi 65" has a DVI connector.. You can connect the HDMI from the Revue to the DVI connector since both are digital signals.
However, the DVI is only video so you will have to supply an audio feed also.
The Revue only has an Optical SPDIF output so herein is another problem.
Here are the links to the solutions:
(I couldn't post the links but they are all at Amazon so just search the titles)
1. HDMI to DVI - $1.90: Premium High Resolution 10FT / 3m 24K GOLD HDMI TO
DVI M/M CABLE FOR HDTV PLASMA DVD
2. Optical Cable - @2.79: 3 FT Digital Audio Optical TOSLink Cable Optic 3ft
3. Optical SPDIF Digital to Analog RCA Audio Converter - $24.95 :
FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial
DAC (This was a real good find since everything else was twice the money)
Full Disclosure: I have ordered these but not yet connected. Will repost if
successful or any problems.

Back