Logitech X-540 not working (SRS) in Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

Hey all, I just bought a Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround System. It was cheap, which is why I went with it. I'm using an ASUS M2N-E mobo, and I've got Vista 64-bit. The M2N-E has built in 7.1 surround sound ports (green, black, orange, and grey 3.5 mm mini plugs), which is what my X-540 takes as input. I've plugged them all in, my speakers are all plugged in properly as well. The thing is, the back 2 speakers won't work, they won't put out any sound at all. I get something from my two front ones, and (for some strange reason) the center channel and subwoofer, but nothing from the back. Also, to see if my mobo was feeding the center and sub seperately, i unplugged the black plug (center/sub channel) while playing music and it didn't change anything, I unplugged green (stereo, front left and right) and it stopped the left/right front, center, and sub. Something's going on, and I want my surround sound! I tried Realtek's HD sound drivers, with no luck, I can't even use them in Vista. I need help getting these to work. I can always just install XP again, but I like playing Halo 2 Vista (that I also just bought) an dit's only Vista compatible (without the patch). I also can turn on Matrix Mode, which simulates 3D sound from a stereo signal, but that's fake, I want real surround sound. If anyone can help me fix this, I'll be very grateful.

turbo1 said:
you haven't mentioned your sound manager was set to 6 channel or 5.1 format.

Yeah, I set it to 5.1 surround, and it stil didn't work, I even plugged it all in, set it to 5.1, and restarted the computer, it didn't work. FIX IT FOR ME, lol. Just kidding, I'd just like it to work.

To test your sound output.you will be plugging your speaker's mini jacks (green,black & orange) in each of three output on the sound source (output sockets) one at a time. You should hear your music from each of the two speakers that are associated with the stereo jack.

it will tell you which socket is not firing a sound.& the channel that's not working.
& that should explain it all.

Well I did something like that, Iplugged them all in and then unplugged one at a time. The green channel (supposed to be left and right) was the only one giving out sound, but it was through left, right, center and the sub channel, for some reason. I'd love to have 5.1 surround, I just bought Halo 2 Vista, Gears of War PC, and Terminator 2 Extreme DVD (which has a second disc with 3 a 1080p High Def remaster), and I want to get the full experience.

Not a 5.1 audio source, but I know the rear speakers work becuase 1. I plugged the rear speakers into the front ports and sound came out, and 2. I use matrix mode which simulates 5.1 surround from a 2 channel stereo signal, so they do work. I'm thinking it might just be Vista. My computer has a SPDIF (digital coaxial) audio out, but this SRS system doesn't have that type of input.

M2N-E Audio:

ADI 1988 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming and "Jack-Retasking"
S/PDIF out on back I/O port.

HaLo2FrEeEk said:
Well I did something like that, Iplugged them all in and then unplugged one at a time.The green channel (supposed to be left and right) was the only one giving out sound, but it was through left, right, center and the sub channel

so the other output sockets (in your motherboard) are not working?
if that's the case,probably your output is not set to 5.1 format.

retasking your Jacks?have you tried that in your sound manager?

also try taking off the green plug & plug the other jacks (black & orange only) to your audio output and play a music.

while doing that,open your sound manager,there are tabs where you can set the sockets.
ie : mic to rear/ line in to front or similar to that.

I told you, I've tried all that, I've plugged in one, two, and all three plugs in every combination possible. I've set the sound to 5.1, I don't know what jack retasking is, all I know is that one time I unplugged my speakers and had to restart vista to ge them to work again, so I plugged this all in with the system off, and started it up and still no sound from rear speakers. As far as I know, all the plugs work, there is no reason for them to not, though I've never used them. I guess I'll just go back to using XP. I don't mind, really, vista sucks, but I liked to play Halo 2.

you can check your motherboard's manual for the "Jack-retasking".this will
distribute the signal which socket is for 2.1/4.1/5.1/7.1.we're talikng about
frequencies here.say your audio outputs are all working,does your 2 rear
speakers receive the desired frequencies?

you have an 8 CH (7.1) integrated sound in your motherboard and a 5.1 format amplified (x-540) speakers hooked to it.

the principle is that,the SOUTH BRIDGE chipset processes your audio before it goes to your CODEC (sound chip) & the signal distribution (DAC) goes to your audio output sockets.that's where the channel format comes in.
All your audio outputs (sockets) have switches.(2.1/4.1/5.1/7.1)

you can opt to revert back to XP (might fix the problem).
but if didnt change anything,then you have to go back to your mainboard's
manual & review the Jack-retasking.

BTW: if by chance you cant install the latest driver (in XP) or some problems gets
along the way.you might need this.

Microsoft UAA (Universal Audio Architecture) Bus driver (Full Multi-language version )

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Driver_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Driver&FileID=2862

I'm thinking that an additional amplification is needed to fire up that 2 rear speakers.some amlpified speakers requires a PCI sound card to attain
the proper amplification..

just post back the results :)

Here's a crappy photoshop of what my ports look like, and how their labeled.

portsna7.png

If this helps. I currently have the orange, black, and green plugged into the logitech system. I haven't tried plugging anything into the one labeled "side spk." yet, I didn't think that would work.

the image is nice (is that cs3? :) )

go to control panel & click the icon from the SoundMaxx & re-configure
your audio settings.

like T H I S

& i'm sorry for the "Jack-Retasking" (only for the front panel Audio),i found out it should be "Jack Configuration" (same logic anyway) where you can configure your computer's AUDIO PORTS.
depending on the audio devices you have installed.

and also click the TEST button to check the changes you made in speakers.

BTW: the grey output is for another 2 additional speakers (8 channel).

Well I don't have a soundmaxx program, and there is no opition to configure my audio ports. I don't have a GIGABYTE board either, so that program you linked me to probably wouldn't work, would it? Anyways, I'm on an hour break at work now, so I'll try all this when I get off at 9.30.

Hmmm....,you have an 8 Ch integrated sound with no audio jack/socket configuration settings?

then what type of sound manager you have? and what sound driver
did you used?

and the GIGABYTE (link),its not about the motherboard,its a website where you can download
the Microsoft UAA (Universal Audio Architecture) Bus driver.you might need it
when you get back to XP.

I have C-Media something, I don't use it and the control panel doesn't work with Vista anyways, everytime I try to open it, it freezes vista and I have to kill the process with task manager. I'll download that UAA tool and try it in Vista. I'm gonna go back to XP though, as soon as I get all the achievements for Halo 2.

now you got C-Media,i'm totally lost what sound driver you have.

ok,click start>run..on the search box type dxdiag.

when you're on the DirectX Diagnostic Tool screen,click "Save all Informations" tab.

it will ask you where you want to save it (i prefer desktop).

click save.

attach the file (not copy & paste) to your next post.

i just need to know the informations on your Sound devices part.

please help me too, i have a similar problem. i am not using matrix cuz it sounds like crap.
my left and right black surround only play through 1 speaker, the other speaker i plugged in thats also back surround plays nothing. everything else seems to work. i think it might be just that 1 plug on the back of my subwoofer.. i think il get a splitter but in meantime plz help

Same problem

Im having the same problem.
I have tried retasking the jacks, swapping the speakers around but it's just the rear speakers coming out of the left and right. it seems as if it does not want to play the L and R speakers. Im using Realtek Audio with onboard sound from Gigabyte motherboard. Very Frustrating problem. Still working on it.

For now, I have my rear speakers in for front L + R and put sound enhancement on, and increase the Real L + R just to fake the speakers working.

Im having the same problem.
I have tried retasking the jacks, swapping the speakers around but it's just the rear speakers coming out of the left and right. it seems as if it does not want to play the L and R speakers. Im using Realtek Audio with onboard sound from Gigabyte motherboard. Very Frustrating problem. Still working on it.

For now, I have my rear speakers in for front L + R and put sound enhancement on, and increase the Real L + R just to fake the speakers working.
il be getting a gigabyte motherboard too, but i have a soundcard.
the asus xonar dx.
i dont think its our sound problem.. i think its the speakers, my friend said it was the speakers and that it had many problems(he worked at best buy)
too bad my warrenty expired the day i found out it had problems.. :( and before he told me it had problem.

I think if more than one person is having the problem, the speakers aren't defective. I think it's just an issue with Vista not having the proper drivers to support full 7.1 (or 5.1 in my case) output, plus it does require a lot of computing power to decode that kind of data,

Sorry this may have been said, but I'm busy at the moment an can't read the other posts, but have you tried plugging the speakers into the Microphone, Stereo and Line in ports?? I've got the same speakers and similar ports and it works via those ports, yours being 8 channel the other ports you have currently plugged them in may only be for that 7.1 form of set-up.

if you havent already gotten it working..... try installing Realtek HD audio driver for vista

i had a similar problem and that worked for me

here's a link to the download **LINK**

I've been looking for those stupid drivers, all I could find were the WinXP versions. Lame. I'll install them, that might work. And turk, I haven't tried that but I don't think it would work because I have something plugged into the line in now and it works as it should. The 3 extra plugs are for the center/sub, rear left/right and surround left/right, then you use the green stereo plug for front left/right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back