Logonui.exe - Application Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I start up my computer (Dell Vostros 200 - running windows XP) I get a logonui.exe - Application error, and the box underneath reads: The instruction at 0x00610249 referenced memory at 0x00610249. The memory could not be written. This is as far as I can go, I am unable to do anything. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and how do I fix it?

Coupla things
1) Search your entire C drive (including all system directories and hidden files) for filename logonui.exe
>> You should only find one copy as C:\Windows\systems\logonui.exe
>> If you find additional copies in any other directory, it's malware

2) See How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
Look in your Windows Event Logs for entries timestamped about the same time as the logonui.exe error you see. Check both the System and Application Logs. You can copy/paste the Error Summary pluse Error Detail you find into your next post

fyi: C:\Windows\systems\logonui.exe is a Windows file. If it or other Windows files are corrupt you may need to do a "repair installation". Do you have the XP install CDs for your computer? And/or do you know if there's a recovery partition on your Dell?

And to think I just had this problem the other day as well on my Dell Latitude D610. The only saving grace was that I had actually reformatted my HDD a few days prior as a 35 GB partition, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Reformatted it and dual-booted with Win XP SP3 and Fedora 10. I'm a happy camper now because now I don't have to use Windows to get on Firefox. :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back