Logs attached; please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Thank you for hosting such a savvy site. I am fixing my in-laws computer. I've run the scans step-by-step and have attached the logs.

Symptoms are pretty much just a sluggish computer (even for XP on 256 ram) and the occasional A/V popup warning of a virus (last virus was taken care of, though now that I'm in town I've noticed the spyware). Antirootkit returned no rootkit problems.

Please peruse the logs and advise me as to next step. Thank you kindly. DJ

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your system is clean.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine and reboot your system.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

The system would benefit from a ram upgrade to at least 512Mb as 256Mb is an lot for Windows XP.

Take a look at this thread HERE and see if it helps to speed up the system.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Out freakin standing. Thanks.

One last thing though: I have noticed that "System Alert Popup" is still in the Add/Remove Programs population list. I re-ran SmitFraudFix in safe mode but it still remains. What's left? DJ

I`m sorry for the delay is getting back to you.

If the system alert popup programme is still in your add remove programmes list, do the following.

Run the Ccleaner programme as per step 9 of the instructions in this thread HERE. With the Ccleaner programme still open, click the tools button, highlight the system alert popup entry and click the delete entry button, click ok and close Ccleaner.

Download the Autoruns programme from HERE. When the programme runs, click options and make sure the "Hide Microsoft Entries" is ticked. Click the file menu and select refresh. Click the save icon and save the Autoruns log to wherever you want.

Attach the Autoruns log here.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of donjose only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\system32\kinrdfvf.dll

Reboot your system.

Let me know if you find the above file, but don`t worry if you can`t.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of donjose only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back