TechSpot

London beats Paris to get 2012 Olympics

By Mikael
Jul 6, 2005
Post New Reply
  1. I must say that I am surprised that Paris didn't get the Olympics for 2012.

Linkage.

2. Finchy

Finchy TS Rookie Posts: 353

Britain, du, du, du
    Britain, du, du, du
    Thank God London and Britain finally get the recognition it deserves. I was sure they were going to vote Paris, cos of the ilusion that it is a hotbed of culture.

3. nikkin

nikkin TS Rookie

Yay London

:bounce:
    :)

4. Mikael

Mikael TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 277

The main reason I thought Paris would get the Olympics was that they already have some facilities that could be used for the games.

That probably didn't help Paris very much. :dead: :blackeye:

5. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

I'm devistated. Reasons I live here in East London just 2 miles from the site and will have to put up with all the congestion during the building. Also I'll be paying for it.

6. Mikael

Mikael TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 277

7. IronDuke

Mostly likely not London residents I hope. I'm not that much against them being held in London.

8. Finchy

Although it may be bad for a few years, it may herald in a wash of economic and cultural benefits.

9. IronDuke

Hey! Finchy are you a politician?

10. Finchy

Not really...
    I can sometimes delve into politics, much to the annoyance of my friends. I was just repeating things that I saw on the news, apparantly many Olympic hosting countries have had their economy and tourist industries reinvigorated by the Olympics.

Once I challenged my regions MP when we were having a discussion in a school activity. It was funny watching him squirm under his poorly coordinated schemes :D

11. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

my only problem with london (and the rest of most of europe for that matter) is the street layout. and by layout i mean seemingly random dead-ends and general crookedness. i think it's safe to say the foreigners attending said event are going to need a lot of directing and maps.

12. Finchy

I remember being in a small town in France last year, it was like a Labyrinth. I had to use the harbour as a landmark.

13. IronDuke

Look on it as a challenge Zephead. It does help if you get a proper street map rather than relying on a free bus maps that has half of the streets missing. For the utmost fun do as a lot of tourist do and use a tube (subway) map. This is a wonderful piece of design that suits its purpose admirably. However it bears little relationship to geographical layout of the town.

14. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

hehehe, challenge says he. at least they can enjoy the night life, if not the engineering.