Long over due - headed in another direction

By L6Griffin
Feb 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I've used Techspot on occasion now for sometime, and have been pleased with response time and answers.

About me, I was born and raised in the Silicon Valley. I was hooked on computers when operating an IBM 1130 for an Aerospace company in the early 70s. I watched the development of personal computers, and bought my first computer in the early 80s. It was an Osborne 1, the OS was CP/M. I built my first clone a few years later. I was working in material control for a defense contractor in their engineering dept., so I had help in learning computers. I eventually worked as a PC Tech for a retail store, and did contract work manning the Helpdesk. I got caught in the dotcom bust, and went on to other things. I'm pretty much out of touch with what is current in PC computing. Lately I've gotten interested in Linux (ubuntu), cloud, and big data. Which brings me to question I'm going to put forth in the Community Forum.

Larry
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,759   +1,421

Hi Larry, welcome to TechSpot.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on changing directions.
  3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,385   +607

Hello. :) Enjoy your stay - hopefully we can help you out!
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,271   +257

Welcome to TS Larry - I'm betting your experience will be useful around here.
  5. L6Griffin

L6Griffin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 29

I'd like to hope in some way it is pay back. I have for some years posted questions here, gotten good answers without an attitude. Thank you everyone.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much interest in the post I put in the community forum. It appears the post is not in community. but Alternative OS. As I get into this more, I realize how far ahead of the curve I am, and how much I need to remember. The phone won't be available till the third quarter of this year from Ubuntu. There is a nice video demo of a Samsung Nexus on the Ubuntu web site. I like the way Ubuntu uses the four sides of the screen, one for apps, current,,,, brain fade. I haven't been able to get the knack of scrolling a touch screen. Connecting the devices is what I'm looking at now. There is a software router written for Deabin Linux, but it doesn't appear to be available independently. I'm thinking a router is overkill for connecting two devices which is all that needs to be done. Anyway I'll be working on this when I'm not fixing a vehicle, chasing Penny Stocks, or improving my photographic skills.

Larry

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.