Long wait time between power on and POST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem as follows: When I power on my PC after an extended period (several hours) it takes anything up to 20 mins before it completes the POST and boots up. Actual bootup time, after the beep, is about 45 seconds. Re-starts seem to work normally. I have run BOOTVIS, disabled non-essential startup items, cleaned and defraged the drives. I suspected a power supply problem, however I have checked the voltages using Everest and they all appear to be okay. Obviously this is is done after the O/s is loaded, could the power unit be causing the delay to the POST but running fine once the system is up.
Can anyone suggest another cause to investigate?

# suspects here to these symptoms...
1) PSU
2) A device driver conflict.
3) An incorrect setting in the BIOS.

Go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and see if all devices are listed OK.
If there is a device that is not working properly it will have a Yellow ? next to it.
Remove any of these Devices by rite clicking and selecting remove. Then re-boot and re-install the drivers for any trouble devices...
Let's start with this and see if it cures your symptoms...

patio. :cool:

Actually it won't hurt to replace that battery...Part#CS2032 available at any store.
As always make sure you are properly grounded when working inside the case and that all power has been removed.

patio said:
Actually it won't hurt to replace that battery...Part#CS2032 available at any store.

Why not just test the battery with a volt/multi meter to see if it's still giving the right voltage. I know the batteries aren't expensive, but if you have a volt meter, save a trip to the store.

Also, most motherboards have a jumper that is used to clear the CMOS; you don't need to remove the battery - unless it's an older system.

BTW - not all mobos use the same size battery.

Okay..... I replaced the battery, resetting CMOS at the same time, still no change.
I went out and bought a Jeantech 500w power supply today, I tried just connecting up to the mother board but found that it has a large connector with 24 pins and a small one with 4. My mother board has connections for 20 pins and four pins. I connected it anyway but when I tried powering up all that happened was the fans started operating and the lights on the front of the PC (red and green) lit up, the red one faintly. I expected the machine would run through to the post. Is the problem that I only connected to the motherboard and not the peripherals, or does this mean that my problem is not with the power supply?

you might have fried your motherboard. You need a 24pin to 20pin CPU power adapter.

get one, try it, and cross fingers you didn't fry something.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I fitted the new Power supply (including the peripherals) and all is now sorted. The 24 pin plug was actually desingned to fit a 20 pin socket as well. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back