Long Windows XP load (Apply Personal Settings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thajer

Hey All,

Just recently most of the workstations on the network are hanging up on the Apply Personal Settings of the startup process. Everywhere I am looking claims it is a GPO or DNS based error. The GPO has not changed in a very long time. As for DNS, the same two messages are typically there:

• Error- The DNS file was unable to open file %1 to write.
  • Info - The DNS server has started.

Any ideas how to move forward? I'll restart the DNS now. Thanks!

Well, what settings does your policy push to the hosts and what logon scripts are you using?

If you are using folder redirection or roaming profiles, then these can cause a lot of data moved to and from the file server. Also, if you have set your login scripts to run synchronously, then any of these stalling will also stall the login process.

Our login scripts are just creating four network drives. Folder redirection works for the My Documents. The computers are always working 'online' so there should never be a long wait to sync..

Well, try disabling the network drive mapping to see whether the problem is coused by folder redirect or the network drives. Or, create a user that doesn't get either of the policies and see if the login for the policy-free user is faster.

Do you have any antivirus software that may be scanning some big files on NW drives or redirected My Docs?

Hmm, bigger problem now. The server was just updated to SP2 and now network drives do not work and computers aren't able to get online at all.

*Edit.. Actually, it is just two Vista machines on the network. We are able to communicate only by wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back