Looking for a good disk partition resizer or way to do it.

By TheJediSlayer
Jul 24, 2008
  1. Well, the title basically says it all. I'm looking for a disk partition program that will allow me to re-size an existing partition that already has Windows XP installed upon it.

Thanks for any help at all,

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Best luck I've had doing this is with gparted. You should be able to find it at
  3. mscrx

mscrx TS Rookie Posts: 310

I agree, gparted is the best way for me as well. give it a try and you will love it
  4. TheJediSlayer

TheJediSlayer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 164

Thank you both very much. :)
  5. surfersaiyan

surfersaiyan TS Enthusiast Posts: 100

is gparted happy creating partitions on larger drives?

i tried to use qtparted on a samsung 120gb and it hung badly. i later read somewhere that qt doesnt like bigger drives.

just wanna make sure as i'm also looking to give it another shot!
  6. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Never used gparted (tho have heard it mentioned often enough to recognize it as a favorite freeware solution).

I will however give a big thumbs up to a commercial solution, Acronis Disk Director, which has handled many different partition issues (including recovery) for me. Free download trial for 15days and (i think) USD $30 to purchase (i found a good investment, personally)
  7. TheJediSlayer

Actually, there is another question that comes to mind now. I downloaded a CD Live image package for GParted, so that I could boot it up and do it that way, however, there are multiple files, and I'm unsure of which files to use.

I suppose I need to use the files contained in the folder "live" and not anything else, correct? I am currently running on Win XP and plan to partition that one. Thanks again.
  8. Bravo7

Bravo7 TS Rookie

There are many good programs that do that. I've recommend Acronis Disk Director this work pretty well,
    Some other people prefer Partition Magic, gparted and others .
  9. conradodav

conradodav Banned

Have you tested Partition Magic?
  10. TheJediSlayer

I found a program that seemed to work just fine.

.... EASEUS Partition Manager Personal
  11. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,343   +6

EASEUS Partition Manager works for me also.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.