Looking for a new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Toddy

I have a VIA chipset-based motherboard (KT266a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus), and I've been having some problems between my motherboard, graphics card, and windows xp. Apparently, my graphics card (GeForce 3 Ti200) causes problems with all of my mobo's pci slots to not work - except for one. Three of them won't work, the fourth one that doesn't work has the same IRQ # assigned as the graphics card. The problem with this, is that if I try to stick my TV Tuner or Sound Card (Audigy 2) into that slot, it and the graphics card uses up so many resources that whatever I stick in that slot won't work.

Unfortunately, I can't send the mobo back and get my money back - I've had it for about 8 months and I just now realized that I have a problem with it - I had it before, but thought it was just my TV Tuner since my Sound Card seemed to work. My sound card then was an old Monster Sound MX300 and I realized after I got my Audigy 2 that the reason I never had any problems with it was that is was just that - an old sound card and it didn't use up quite as many resources as my Audigy 2.

I've tried converting my PC from ACPI to Standard PC, but, unfortunately, that didn't work and screwed things up. I've reinstalled Windows enough times in the past month that if u guys try suggesting I do something that requires me to reinstall Windows, I'd ignore it and rather spend money on new hardware.

So now I'm presented with three options:

1. Get rid of my Audigy 2 and stick my Monster Sound MX300 back in my system. I won't do that for 2 reasons: I gave my old MX300 to a friend, and I love my Audigy 2 to much to get rid of it and go back to a lesser sound card.

2. By a new graphics card: I wouldn't buy a new graphics card unless it was something better than what I've got and unless it wasn't an Nvidia card, since I guess they cause problems with the mobo - which would leave the Radeon 9500 and 9700 Pro. Unfortunately, I don't have the kind of cash to shell out on a card like that.

3. So that leaves me with option three - buy a new motherboard. So, I was thinking about what to buy, and I was wondering what do you guys think would be a good mobo to buy? I'm looking for something that's not a VIA-based mobo, that can support up to pc2700 DDR ram, that is an AthlonXP-based mobo, and that is decent with overclocking.

Here's my system specs:

Soyo K7V Dragon Plus Motherboard
Windows XP Profesional Corporate Edition SP1
Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Sound Card
512 mb PC2700 ram
Maxtor 7200 RPM 40 gb HD
ATI TV Wonder PCI TV Tuner

3. So that leaves me with option three - buy a new motherboard. So, I was thinking about what to buy, and I was wondering what do you guys think would be a good mobo to buy? I'm looking for something that's not a VIA-based mobo, that can support up to pc2700 DDR ram, that is an AthlonXP-based mobo, and that is decent with overclocking.

NForce2 Based board such as the Asus A7N8X one that everyone on here keeps raving about.

Or the Epox ERDA+ nForce2 is meant to be a very decent overclocking board. The Abit NF7-S Rev 1.2 is also meant to be a decent overclocking board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back