looking for a program to block internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanaleia

Hello I am looking for a program to completely block access to the internet via a password. I have children I am trying to protect and a cable connection that is always on. Is there any way to lock my browsers down and make them accessible only with a password? I have not been able to find any that will do this, only the type that block content. Is there such a thing? I would like to have a program that incorporates both if possible. Any suggestions?
Thanks for any consideration
Hanaleia

Theres a plenty of ways to block internet access.

1. Simply pull out the cable from your internet source.
2. Go to your internet browser, and click on "File", at the very top of the screen. There you will see an option named" Work Offline"
3. Go to "Control Panel"- "Internet Options"- "Security" tab- "Custom Level". There also are some settings, so you can disable them.

Also you can try this: http://block-internet-access.qarchive.org/

thanks for trying but let me be clearer

While these suggestions are true and helpful I am dealing with 3 kids age 10 to 16 who are computer savvy enough to plug in the cable, uncheck the work offline in the file menu and if disabled,enable the connection in network connections and internet options does not actually prevent access only limits it (as i understand it). Anything I do in control panel can be undone, That is why I was hoping for a program with a password to lock out the internet completely, unless the correct password is entered. The website link was interesting but I want to buy the software outright not pay 20$ monthly for the privelage of blocking acces, Any other ideas?
Thanks for trying though it is appreciated

OK, I did some more research and I found a free program which locks internet with a password. I hope it will be useful.

The link is HERE

Well, you can try creating user accounts for the system, and disable internet access for your kids' accounts. When they require internet usage, simply log off their account and log in yours.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

just what I was looking for

Thanks Alex A. that is exactly what I was hoping to find and its free! I have downloaded it and will give it a try.
Momok,
Thats a great idea, dont know why I did not think of that, although I think it takes up a lot of extra Hard drive space to have several accounts and I only have about 5GB left on my HD. If the internet lock does not work out I will install a second HD and use that option.
Thanks so much for both suggestions they are SUPER!
Thanks again for your time I appreciate it you guys rock!
Hanaleia

the ilock program seems to work fine, but I will still keep creating user accounts in mind
thanks again you guys were a tremendous help!
Hanaleia

I'm glad that I could be useful even a part of me still regrets that because I'm 16
too and I think its horrible to loose internet and have limits to it, lol :). I wouldn't resist.

LOL that is ironic isnt it. I do have another question though. As long as the comp does not restart, it lockss the internet down great, so Ilock works fine, but if the computer is restarted it unlocks itself. I have tried locking the computer name and the server with the same results I must be doing something wrong, any ideas?

thanks so much for your consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back