Looking for a SD for my Canon Rebel T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty[hk]

My old 1GB SD just doesn't hold enough with those massive shots from my Cannon Rebel T1, so i'm looking into an 8GB SDHC.

I'll likely be ordering in a couple days off newegg, so here are my choices:
Transcend 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model TS8GSDHC6 - Retail
SanDisk Ultra 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model SDSDRH-008G-A11 - Retail

Obviously I would need it to be reliable so I don't loose pictures and quick enough to keep up.

So far, my Sandisk has been working great for a long time, its been quite reliable and trustworthy, but isn't all that fast compare to my flash drive (in fairness thats a bad comparison, but the point is that its not super speedy, though I think it's been perfectly fine, and I question if the Transcend is faster or not), and it is also marginally more expensive, not much compared to the camera though, I think it would be well worth it.

The Transcend seems the same, just cheeper. I've heard good things about Transcend and that card, so tell me your opinions everyone.

ATM I use nothing but Sandisk Ultra 2 SD cards (2, 4, & 8GB capacities) For card readers I use Transcend SD USB readers. I don't use them day in and day out but they always seem to do the job. Maybe it's just superstition, but I won't use anything other than Sandisk for the cards themselves.

I have a Nikon D90, and one day I'd like to try the Sandisk Ultra 3 cards. These were actually designed for this body, but they're still way too expensive. I missed a great sale on them at B&H Photo during Black Friday's sales. When you snooze you lose, word.

These are the readers; (White) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...469&cm_re=Card_readers-_-20-208-469-_-Product

(or black) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...470&cm_re=Card_readers-_-20-208-470-_-Product

The write speed of the Ultra 3 Cards is staggering. I even think that there's 2 grades of them. they offload @ (I think) 30MBs

The Ultra 2s are quite fast also.

Sandisk has been there since the beginning of digital memory card, way back when there were only compact flash type cards.

The reason for the Ultra 3s and the D-90 is it's 12MP sensor and 4 FSP exposure rate, plus it will take hi-def movies. In practice the 2 series work quite well.

These cards are way up in price now, (as is DDR2). Last year Microcenter was selling the Ultra 2 8GB cards for $19.95! I bought 2, I should have bought a dozen, they're $32.95 ATM.

I just tried my Ultra ii 1GB, seems to work fine.
30MB/s is really impressive, but meh I don't really think I need it.
Video, if I ever use it, works fine, same with sequential shots (though I guess I don't know what it would be like with a fast card). It takes a while to transfer to computer via USB, but whatever, Ultra ii is good enough, how about the Ultra I I linked to above? If I had to guess, Ultra I would also perform acceptably.
I think i'm searching the wrong thing because I can't find any reviews.

These cards are way up in price now, (as is DDR2). Last year Microcenter was selling the Ultra 2 8GB cards for $19.95! I bought 2, I should have bought a dozen, they're $32.95 ATM.
:(

Sandisk is alway more stable. Kingston is second choice. Trancsend I only own one SDHC from then it's suppose to be 150x yeah, yeah back then 4GB cost me $33 bucks. Today I am not going to spend that. I did get 16GB 16x for $22 bucks pre-BF this year. I think it's Lexar Platinum but anyway the classes range below.

2 class
4 class 4 or 6 is okay to get
6 class how many mbps
Ultra are expense and are suppose to be quick.

"I Feel the Need for Speed"........>>>> Quote by "Maverick"

The choice of a flash card should be based on the type of shooting you do, and obviously on the mega pixel count of the camera involved.

That said, even cameras with an equivalent pixel count can generate dramatically different files sizes. This is determined by the capture method, combined with the manufacturer's compression codecs. As an example, don't expect a "cigarette pack" digicam to produce files any where near the size of a DSLR, even with the same megapixel count.

As I am not familiar with Canon's current "Rebel" DSLR's capabilities, I will try to compare the information with my two Nikon DSLRs, a D-80 and a D-90. These are, give or take, direct model equivalents.

The camera's buffer is responsible for retaining the images at the instant of exposure, and from there begins to offload them to the memory card. Therefore, the choice of capture method and size determines the buffer's capacity. In my Nikons, this ranges from >>170 shots<< (smallest JPEG) to >>> 7 shots <<< (using raw file capture). With these cameras, you can also choose to capture the largest JPEG file and a raw file simultaneously! This pushes the single file size to about the 10 MB region.

If you're serious about getting the best quality out of your pictures,(and after spending a few hundred bucks for the camera you should be), then whenever possible, you should employ raw capture, combined with a quality image editing program that can import raw images.

After exposure, the camera begins to offload the image data to the card, but it will lock up if the buffer is full. Then it's no more fun for a few seconds, until the camera and the card catch up with one another.

So, buy the fastest cards you can afford, then look for opportunities to test their mettle.

As a last thought, there is little to no comparison between the quality of a JPEG, and the glory of using raw file capture, even at the lowest compression rates.

So again, man up, and spring for at least the Ultra II cards.

If you're serious about getting the best quality out of your pictures,(and after spending a few hundred bucks for the camera you should be), then whenever possible, you should employ raw capture, combined with a quality image editing program that can import raw images.
With the holidays and only my puny 1GB, I haven't dared try RAW.
I have the T1, it was about $550 for the body, not quite as snazzy as a D90, maybe something like the D5000 as they are similar in price..
I have photoshop CS4 which is of course a great image editor and supports RAW, but I wonder what do you use?

I just tried, photoshop is having issues opening them, oh well i'll figure it out.
Ultra II then, now to find somewhere to buy from...newegg doesn't have them, what do you suggest?

Thanks for your help and insight!

I have the T1, it was about $550 for the body, not quite as snazzy as a D90, maybe something like the D5000 as they are similar in price..
I have photoshop CS4 which is of course a great image editor and supports RAW, but I wonder what do you use?

I just tried, photoshop is having issues opening them, oh well i'll figure it out.
Ultra II then, now to find somewhere to buy from...newegg doesn't have them, what do you suggest?

You have Amazon and if you sign-up for Prime free for 1 month you can get it in 1 day or 2 days

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Class-Memory-SDSDRH-016G-A11/dp/B0012W7HQK

First, if CS-4 won't open the raw files from your camera, then "Adobe DNG Converter and Camera Raw" files need to be updated. Here's the Adobe download page; http://www.adobe.com/downloads/ You can manage a site search as well as I so root around there for the files I mentioned and instructions as to how to install them.

Personally, I use Photoshop Elements Versions 3, 5 and 7. The average user doesn't really need all of Photoshop's capabilities and PSE will do a whole lot, at less than a sixth of the cost. There are also free add-ons available to extend PSE's capabilities even further. Likewise there are many free filters, brushes, and "actions" files for PS also

When I'm shopping for camera related products I use these two places exclusively:
http://www.adorama.com/ and http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ These are old, established firms, reliable and beyond reproach, which is saying a whole bunch in a generally very dirty business. They even allow you to order by phone, which I find reassuring, talking to another human being and all that,

Here's a link to a Photoshop Elements User's group; http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/index.php Much of what's there can be applied to Photoshop as well.

Really though, download the latest "camera raw" file from Adobe for your CS-4. It goes in, I believe, the "plug ins folder". You remove the existing "Camera Raw" plug in, and insert the newer version.

The camera manufacturers seem to change their file system with the release of each new body. The Adobe struggles to keep up, by these updates. I'm sure that a newer Camera Raw Version would handle raw files from your Rebel, and the results would be well worth the effort.

In PSE5 the file path is C:/ . Program files > Adobe > PSE5 > Plugins > File Formats.
You would just exchange the 2 files, and save the original "Camera Raw".

Photoshop cannot be running when you do this, it will pick up the new file at the next launch.

The file path I specified is subject to change with OS and Photoshop version, I include it to serve as a rough guide only.

Alright, finally got around to it. Turns out they now come with an installer that automatically replaces your old Camera Raw.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back