Looking for a video card, need help choosing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
OK, here’s the deal, I have been looking for a new video card for over a month now and I still haven’t decided on one and I am going crazy trying to figure out what to buy. I am not a hardcore gamer but I do like to play computer games and I am looking for a video card that will run some of the newer games, but I am not really looking to get a top-notch card. For example I have been looking into possibly getting the Radeon 9600 pro. But does anyone else have any recommendations on what I should get that isn’t too expensive?

Computer specs:
1.8 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2200+
512MB DDR
480 watt PSU
Geforce4MX 64MB DDR

Any help on this would be much appreciated. :)

9600 pro will do you just fine. Comparable nVidia would be the 5700 ultra. If you want to just get by, go with the Geforce TI4200 128 MB. They work pretty well. If you want pretty incredible graphics for most games, go with the 9600 pro or 5700 ultra. If you have too much money, and need something to spend it on, go with the 6800GT
Bug

With Nvidia and ATI shortly releasing some very interesting budget models, it'd be a good idea to hang on for a couple of weeks - nvidias 6600 cards look to be a great combination of low price and performance, rivalling, and even exceeding the likes of the 9800xt and the ati budget model will be competing directly with the 6600 so keep your eyes peeled for the reviews when they come

Can I upgrade an integrated video chip

I am looking to upgrade my video card - I just realized it is an Intel Integrated Video chip. Can I install a new card in a PCI slot and if so what is recommednation for under 200 ? I have a dimension 2350 celeron processor, 768MB Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back