Looking for an ok PCI Express card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogityboo04

Well, I just upgrade my PSU to a Ultra 500w one, and decided I might as well get a Gfx card now that my system can support it. :grinthumb

My question is, what would you guys recommend in the $100 to $120 range? I don't need a high-end card and cant have one that needs an extra open slot for a fan. What GPU should I go with, and what manufacturer should I get the card from? I was looking at Gigabyte, but have never had any experience with thier products (other than a server motherboard that killed a brand new PSU :blackeye: ).

$120 card don't need a 500w psu - at most a 350w one. i would wait for the g80s to come out in a few weeks, there will be a sizeable price drop on everything else. Card brand doesn't affect performance(its still the same card), but it does affect warranty terms and the bundle that comes with the card.

EVGA 7600gt $149
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130062

ASUS 7900 gs $206
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121022

i would wait for the price to drop on the 7900 gs and buy it in a couple of weeks.

What is your current gpu? What do you intend to use this for? be specific - what games, modelers, etc...

K@in said:
$120 card don't need a 500w psu

Yeah... the PSU is for the next computer I build, but I may as well put it to use until then replacing my 300w one... Anyway, I got it free :D

But thanks for the advice, I'll probably look into the 7900 once the G80 comes out. Anyway, I haven't heard much about about the G80, when is it coming out?

The G80-based 8800GTS/GTX will be out next month but due to it's obscenely high price tag (>$600) it won't be affordable at all. It will also take up two slots owing to it's sophisticated inbuilt watercooling system.
This one is a better choice than the 7600GT and a simple BIOS flash will unlock the 4 extra pipelines on it making it a real monster. It's only slightly expensive but a good choice nevertheless.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
The G80-based 8800GTS/GTX will be out next month but due to it's obscenely high price tag (>$600) it won't be affordable at all. It will also take up two slots owing to it's sophisticated inbuilt watercooling system.
This one is a better choice than the 7600GT and a simple BIOS flash will unlock the 4 extra pipelines on it making it a real monster. It's only slightly expensive but a good choice nevertheless.

ok for 1 the 8800gtx will not have the water/air cooling set up once rumored.

second of all, the 7600gt has 12 pipes, the g73 core only has 12 pipes - unlocking 4 more? what?

I think Rage meant the X800GTO2. It has 12 pipes, but you can unlock 4 more, making it a 16 pipe card.

But THIS card would be slightly cheaper, and you don't need to unlock anything hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back