Looking for email component for website

By jobeard
Feb 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I'm looking for an email package that operates just like we have here at TS: - - but just that standalone package.

messages from website  -->
                                   proxy ---> known user(s)
                                   proxy <--- reply
    website.specific.user <---- 
    and the replies come back to the website where the user can pickup the reply after login
    OR gets the email directly into his/her inbox (but shown as originating at the website)
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 9,153   +598

Btw: I already have phpMailer & sendmail packages
  3. jobeard

Current research has suggested that this is only possible using a dedicated hosting solution due to the need for a pop3d long running process - - any thoughts?
  4. jobeard

FYI: A custom solution was created using PHP (Perl should also be workable);

the outline is:
    • website sends email only to known users containing (1) raw text and (2) a cgi link back to the site, which contains an encrypted version of (1)
    • recipient does not use email-reply, but rather clicks the link
    • the receiving cgi then (1) decrypts the returned data (thus avoiding storing the original), (2) fills a page form with that raw text, and (3) flips the email from/to
    • recipient then edits/adds the reply desired and clicks respond, sending back to the originator.
    forms method=POST is used throughout, but the link in the email will need to be processed using GET (email clicks cant generate POST) which is why the link contains a encryption of the raw text.

email addresses are not shown anywhere, but only the user-id on the site (eg: I'm jobeard) and both sending/replying convert user-id to real email-address on-the-fly.

The chain of send->reply->send->reply can thusly go on indefinately without disclosing the correspondents or the email text.