TechSpot

Looking for Free FTP software

By Ididmyc600
Feb 22, 2007
  1. Hi

as the thread title says, i'm looking for a free FTP software thats easy to setup, im currently using one that is a trial and its due to expire, any ideas, or is there something in 2K that can be setup.

Regards

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,317   +618

all win systems come with FTP -- I think you're asking for FTPD, the server component.

fyi: SSH will perform both services when properly installed and config'd.

3. thewoosterisroot

thewoosterisroot TS Enthusiast Posts: 192

Have you tried SmartFtp? I don't use it very often, but it works well whenever I do need it.

http://www.smartftp.com/

4. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,415

Hi

Sorry I seem to good at answering questions but crap at asking them, what I want is the software that allows me to run an FTP server on a machine with the intention of friends and family accessing it from remote locations, this is handy at the moment if i'm at say my dads house and I need a piece of software, I can FTP into the box and access it.

Jobeard what is SSH ? and is it easy to setup.

Regards

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,317   +618

start your reading here on a wiki article
    then you can google ssh

HOWEVER, ftp is strictly command line syntax and are you sure you wish to teach
    the family all the HOW-TO?

SSH will provide safe (ie encrypted) usage for both FTP and TELNET services,
    but you would be better served using something like GoToMypc or similar
    remote PC access programs.

6. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,415

Hi Jobeard

I'll leave the SSH for later, i considered something like "gotomypc" but its not remote access im after, i think I may have found something free called cerebrus FTP, ill let you know if its what I want.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.