TechSpot

Looking for laptop advice...

By TCool
Aug 20, 2006
  1. Again I call upon the help of you super smart people!

So here's the deal, I'm starting college in 2 weeks (after bout a 5 year break from school) and I'm looking into laptops because I'm going to get one. I'm getting kinda frustrated mainly because its not like desktops where I can build my own good computer for fairly cheap. I know there are laptops out there that I can get for around $500 that would do everything I need it to for school, but I also want it to run games good, and its frustrating that so far from what I've found I'll have to spend another $1,000 to get that. So, here's what I've found that I'm going to go with if you super smart people can't point me to a better deal (cuz I sure can't find one).
    http://www.alienware.com/Configurat...Code=PC-LT-AREA51M5550-R3&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Its the alienware Area-51® m5550 with the following options:
    With these options:
    2.0ghz Core duo
    Win XP Home
    1GB DDR2
    80GB HDD
    DVD Burner
    128mb ATI mobility x1400
    and the vehicle ac adapter

The price here comes to $1,429. I want to know if its worth that money, or if there is something else out there just as good for a lot less and I'm just blind and can't find it.

Thanks again for all your help guys,

Tim.

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Alienware is a subsidiary of DELL and lately their quality has gone to crap along with regular DELLs. I would avoid it.

3. TCool

TCool TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 110

I did not know that. Any suggestions on what brands are good quality?

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,522   +336

I've been very pleased with my Toshiba -- ~a year only now and no problems to
    speek (other than ****pit errors {aka user fumbles} )

5. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 737

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.