Looking for opinions on various Antivirus programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickster

Hello everyone and thank you in advance.
As of right now I am using Norton antivirus, and I'm currently still within the free trial. However, I'm thinking of changing, for 2 reasons:
1st reason. I hear Norton is a CPU hog.
2nd and main reason is that I dont really want to pay unless it's a for sure advantage here with norton, over some of the better free Antivirus software such as AVG or Avast.

I'm currently looking at those two. I know there's more free download and usage Antivirus software and I'm sure I'm not aware of alot of them that may be just as good.

This post was made in order to get some opinions of some of the better free antivirus programs to use, or if I should go ahead and pay for norton(If it's the best bet at keeping me safe... or way better than any of the free ones.)

So far it looks like AVG or Avast is the way to go, even comparable to the pay to use programs.
Anyway, I hope this is okay to post here.
Thanks again for any help or opinions you may have,
-Rick

Been using AVG for 2 + years now with excellent results...i would also suggest adding AdAware and Spybot to your arsenal, along with Kerio's free personal firewall.
A winning combination.

p.s. i have also heard good things about Avast as well.
Good Luck getting Norton's off that machine...

patio. :cool:

Have Adaware, spybot. Just looking for opinions on antivirus software.

Is Norton's a pain to uninstall completely & successfully?

Norton is a HUGE pain, both to have on your PC and to UNinstall.
Try and find the instructions on Symantec's website (all 20 pages of them).

WARNING: do NOT turn this thread into a 'What is the best..' affair, or I will CLOSE it!
There are more than enought posts out there already.

Update: Ive successfully uninstalled all of norton and it's subprograms.
I then installed AVG Free which seems to be pretty good for my needs, so far. I've only had it for a day! :p

I'm Still looking for opinions for alternatives on anything because I'm sure there's A LOT of things that I am unaware of. My goal is to learn a little bit more about such programs and whatnot from other users/ex-users [Ive done some research of course, but most of it seems pretty much untrustworthy.], not to 'fight' about which is the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back