Looking for some PSU advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

engel_wolf

Ok, I'm not sure if I'm putting this thread in the right place, but if doesn't seem to fit any where else. :giddy:

I have a Demon 480W PSU, and while it works just fine, I want to upgrade to 700W to cover everything and anything I might ever do. What I really want to do is buy a good quality 700W PSU that isn't too fancy and put its 'guts' into the case for my Demon, cause I just love the way it looks with the chrome shell and blue fans. Can anyone recommend some brands that make reliable 700W PSU that hopefully wont cost me too much, say nothing over $50-$60US(thats eBay prices btw, so I guess that might equal somewhere around $75-$100US or so from a store)... I really have looked around a bit, but there are just so many different types and I trust you guys over reviews I read on the net anyway.
Thanks.

480W should be more than enough for anything you may want to do. If you really want to upgrade then maybe an Enermax 485W for US $100(I no longer recommend any Antec True Power PSUs). I bet it would ourperform any no-name $75 700W PSU. I'm using an Enermax 550W ($150) in my main box.

I'm not looking for a no name... Thats why I wanted you guys to recommend a few, just throw out some names of PSU's you trust, and I'll do some research on them and make a choice. "What I really want to do is buy a good quality 700W PSU that isn't too fancy" is what I said.

At this point any 700w PSU (that really delivers 700w) will be quite pricey & probably unnecessary which is why you are being advised to go with a ~500w PSU from a good brand such as Enermax, Antec, etc.

I dont really care if its unnecessary, although I guess it doesn't HAVE to be 700W, just would have been cool. I'm looking into both Enermax and Antech. Prices aren't bad, would like a little more then 550W though. I'll let you guys know what I decide on. Thanks.

I've got 2 hds, CD burner, DVD, floppy, Athlon 2600 OC'd to 2.4 gig, nvidia 5900U OC'd, all running off an Antec 350W in my daughters system. Even if you're running 6 Raptors and 4 DVD burners with a 6800U and an OC'd FX55 you don't need more than an Enermax 550W.

There is absolutely nothing you could do with your computer that could warrant a PSU capable of a combined 700W load. Even if you had 4x Opterons with a 6800 PCI-X card with 8 10,000 RPM SCSI320s and 2 DVD burners and a bag of turtle doves.

What about down the road? Right now I have 1 HD, CDRW, DVD, Floppy, Athlon 2600+ OCed, Radeon 9700 pro, an Aerogate 3, 6 case fans, 4 LEDs and 2 Cold Cathodes but I'm going to be adding a second HD, second fan controller, a DVD burner, a few extra fans, a custom water cooling system that I want to run off the PSU, a ****-load more LEDs, atleast two more Cold Cathodes and upgrading to a AMD 64 3800 and Radeon x700... And I'm sure that wont be the end of my add ons.
PS-The turtle doves made me laugh. =)

Haha yeah i once had my pc running 10 hard drives and alot of cooling with my chip overlocked and a monster of a thermaltake fan on it and all 12cm fans going at once, like 6 i think. all of this was done on a simple Aopen 350w truepower box. i always run close to this configuration on most boxes and i have never had a problem. some of you guys seem to want to pump it up to like a 700w supply but the thing is that you might get away with something much smaller like a 480w or so. when i ran a 5900 in my machine once i noticed that my power supplies temps rose up to about 31c which i think is ok. i would puke: on everyone who underestimates just what an entry level brand name power supply can do. Just my $0.02

Another PSU question

As a new member, I have a psu question. I currently have a DELL dimension 4550. I have a DVD burner and a CD-rw, as well as 2 HD's. I am looking to upgrade my Video card but it appears I need to upgrade my PSU first. I don't want to get into a new system until PCI is a little more mainstream, but I don't want to invest a bundle into a current system either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to what would work.

Check if you have a standard sized power supply, some of the brandname machines don't have one, they have some stupid shaped power supplies.
if so i would say you should go for a good brand name like Enermax. get something with a little bit more balls, something you know you can't reach. as you don't want to hit your peak as it can be very bad for the computers components when you don't get enough power to them.

Another PSU question

What I know at this point, is the PSU that is "stock" is a 250W supply. I am concerned, maybe neddlessly so, that when I add my new card (Soon to order a 9800 PRO 128) it may be too much with the HDD's and CD-Rom's. I definetly don't want to spike while in the middle of DOOM 3 or HL 2. That would be, in a word, bad...I noticed online that many of the PSU's have a switch of some sort on them. I didn't recall seeing on on mine, but I haven't had the time to look at it that close. This issue only recently came to mind after talking to a co worker. If anyone has a suggestion of a good name or more importantly a name to stay away form, let me know by all means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back