TechSpot

Looking forward to working with other members

By squarelobe
Oct 2, 2006
  1. I am a 56 year old systems programmer, primarily trained on mainframe systems. I work for a large company that is slowly converting to an open source / windows environment due to the spiraling cost of mainframe software. As a result, I am now patching linux boxes and providing FTP support as well as continuing to support the mainframe environment. My group was primarily the Support group for the mainframe and we took care of virtually everything on the mainframe down to the installation and customization of the operating systems. We were fortunate to have attracted a new manager to our department that realized that if we could take care of a mainframe environment, then we could most likely be trained to work in the server world as well and - he was right. I do miss some of the more sophisticated pieces of the mainframe, but realize why we headed in this direction. I enjoy programming, especially in SAS and REXX, although I am also trying my hand at UNIX shell scripting (bash). With that said, I am also a big fan of home PC's - building them and trying to resolve problems. I also am on Kidney Dialysis 3 days a week, but I have learned to live with that although it does interfere with my lifestyle quite a bit.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.