Looking to buy new Laptop

Mogymog

Ok, so currently I have a Gateway NV53, about 6 years old, it worked great... Tonight, I was stupid, and took it apart.. Well that wasn't the so stupid part. I've been working on computers for 15 years, so it's not like I was completely clueless. Well, I took a part of the base off, and reached down to disconnect a wire from its socket and for some reason the tiny wire just snapped off, and is now completely unusable, and as it was the monitor power wire it's all but useless.

So, guess it's a good a reason as any to look into buying a new laptop... I don't really game on it a lot but I do play some very basic text and java games, just mainly youtube, movies, things like that at 720p. Would prefer to get a 1080p viewable laptop but it's not that important. Basicaly, I want a cheapish lappie, that can do the job of my old one. So, would I be better off buying some netbook, or chromebook or something. Or, would I even be able to find a viable solution in a laptop? Problem is, I have no clue what to get. I got this one from bestbuy many years ago, but I really don't pay much attention to the laptop area as I don't heavily do work on them, so was hoping someone else could give me some options/opinions.

If the power wire for the laptop screen was the only wire that snapped off, it might be able to be fixed. Do you have computer repair shops in your area? You could call them and ask for an estimate on a repair to see if it would be more cost effective instead of buying a new laptop.
If your looking to get a new laptop anyway then:
What is your budget for the new laptop? How big of a screen would you like?

Turns out it wasn't power wire, thank goodness. I'm not sure what the wire was, but I managed to fix it up. IT works now, for the most part. I'm figuring the wire that snaped was probably the microphone wire, but yeah... And I'm looking for 15-17". Gotta be 720p least, and 1080p depending on the value. So easily 500+ on a decently good one.

Is there anything that you will have to do with the laptop that you think would be "demanding" on the system? You said you do not play that many games, but what about other things? If you are looking for a basic laptop, take a look at Tigerdirect or NewEgg and see what looks good to you. If you want a second opinion on a laptop, just paste the direct link and we can take a look at it and maybe find something less expensive, but give you better options. Not trying to avoid giving you an answer, just do not know what your likes or dislikes are with laptops and would rather not give you "blind" options.

Lenovo is very good to me and the Y510p is right up for you. If you want to go a little crazier, you could get a MSI laptop. Very reliable and you can find a whole bunch of models from newegg and other sites.

Back