Looking to upgrade memory need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinist

Hey guys, I recently started upgrading my pc, nothing major just some basic upgrades. I have the new cpu and heat sink in, next is memory and video card. I might be doing a 'little" overclocking and was looking for some fast memory that wont break the bank but wont be a total piece of crap neither. I have 1g 512x2 and im looking for 2g 1x2. I do use auto cad and solid works for drafting so i hope the memory will help with the new processor to speed things up a little. Any recomendations?

Asus A8V Deluxe/AMD 64 Athlon X2 3200+/Maxtor 80g/512 x2 DDR/ Asus Radeon 9550/Lite On LTR52327S CD ROM/Sony G120A DVD

First off, what do you consider "breaking the bank"? For me that means like 50 bucks, but for most people it is alot higher. Do you have a certain price range you are wanting to stay in?

Honestly I wouldnt choose those if you are going to overclock. Given your price range... even though it is a little over @ 168 I would first suggest this. If you can afford to pay about 5 bucks more this would be even better as it has lower latency.

If you wouldnt be looking to overclock I can look for some that would be more suitable. And if you think the 168 is too much then I can look a little more.

Thanks shaw23 I probably wont overclock . Just my luck ill fry my machine. If you can come up with some other options for non oc i would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks Alot

This is all my opinion, you may want to wait for others to respond as well, but here is a summary of my thoughts.

If your looking to not spend alot of money but get RAM that will perform like it is supposed to, I would suggest this from your suggestions. Kingston is a good brand, 140 is a decent price, and it has free shipping (although I have never dealt with that supplier).

If you are wanting quality, and a faster product, this is a really good selection as it has a latency of 2 compared to 3 of the cheaper one. It also has heat spreaders to run more cool... and it has the potential to be overclocked if you want to try it in the future (I know it is in your mind).

Machinist said:
I might be doing a 'little" overclocking

Thanks again $168-$175 is not out of the question if it will perform better. But I definitely have to make up my mind on overclocking to make a good decision. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Thanks

This is the cheapest RAM I could find for $150. It's also has a very low CAS Latency of 2.5 so it'll be pretty fast for you I reckon.

Thats exactly what i was looking for Rage. I found it at new egg for $129. did some research on them and found some great reviews. they should be perfect. Thanks again for all the replys.

Asus always has a list of 'approved' memory that includes a number of manufacturers.

Start there.

Latency won't mean anything for Autocad and Softworks, and will only make a difference in the high tech games. Kingston works well, better than most, and among the best for the price at www.zipzoomfly.com or www.directron.com as long as you do not get Value Ram.
If you are really a big time gamer, with the latest high tech games and significant overclocking, you need a matched pair of memory modules from OCZ, Corsair, or others.

raybay said:
Latency won't mean anything for Autocad and Softworks, and will only make a difference in the high tech games. Kingston works well, better than most, and among the best for the price at www.zipzoomfly.com or www.directron.com as long as you do not get Value Ram.
If you are really a big time gamer, with the latest high tech games and significant overclocking, you need a matched pair of memory modules from OCZ, Corsair, or others.

Any suggestions on high performance ram raybay?
DDR400 PC3200 NON-ECC 184 pin

We are partial to Corsair and Crucial. We were once happy with OCZ but we see way too many changes from module one month to the new module the next month. OCZ has barely been in business two years, and we find their marketing and consistency suspect.
We have never seen bad memory from Crucial... but for gaming or high intensity graphics design work, we buy it in matched pairs, usually from www.zipzoomfly.com or www.directron.com or www.crucial.com.

ASUS is notorious for being picky on RAM. Using non-approved RAM simply will render the machine non-bootable or will crash it. Use only recommended brands and types from the manufacteur's list. Usually in a book or download a PDF document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back