Looking to upgrade RAM, Question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

just-sumguy

I recently replaced the mother board on my E-Machine PC (T2642) with an Asus P4V8X-MX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131573

Im now looking to upgrage the old 256 RAM with a 1GB RAM card. Im thinking about using this one as the upgrade:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141429

My questions are would there be any campatablity issues or other issue with this?

Can I still use the old 256 Card in the second slot on the MB? (Im using the origianl RAM that came with the Emachines MB)

That will work fine with most setups.
Value Ram is not as fast as you might need for gaming or photo editing, but then the eMachines board is not very fast either.
The Kingston Value Ram is solid memory. We use it frequently in budget home based machines which are used for Microsoft Office, Internet, etc. and have never one had problems with perhaps hundreds of modules of DDR 333 PC2700.
It is not a good choice for gaming, but then neither is the T2642.
You are limited to two 1 gb modules.

Cool, thanks.

So I assume I should be able to use the 256 card in the second slot?

Also as far as gaming goes, I dont really do much of that in terms of PC gaming. Mostly I just use the comp for the internet, uploading photos, typing stuff up, etc.. But as far as console gaming is concerned it shouldnt really matter about how fast the comp is since the cosole specs and or the internet connection speed will determine how fast your gaming experience is online correct?

I would suggest you to upgrade to 2gb; I put two of this Kingston Value Ram in my HP at work and the improvement is really obvious. If you look around more, there are very good deals out there like two for the price of one.

Well......

This is DDR RAM, so any speed issues are likely to be a moot point. They really are punishing you price wise for the older package. A 2GB (2X1GB set) of DDR2 667Mhz Value RAM is running @ $39.95, OUCH! I was unsuccessful at getting the page on your board to load. Asus server down at the moment. If this board is single channel RAM, you can do no harm by putting the 256 DIMM in the second slot. Now watch it'll probably make a liar out of me.

My eMachines Imperial Mobo has 2 slots for PC2700 DDR. Manual says max 1GB per slot. I have a 512MB in one slot and need to upgrade. Will I be OK to fit a 4GB PC2700 into one slot - expecting to only be able to access 1GB of it? Or will the "too large" module not work at all?

If one 4GB PC2700 will work to give a 1GB system, will fitting a 2nd 4GB module work OK to give a 2GB system?

I already have spare 4GB modules, and am happy to try things as long as I'm not likely to toast the system!

E

There is no guarantee that the larger modules will work at all... It depends on the module, and the board. Usually what you suggest will not work at all. Those moduels will not be detected... or if detected, performance will not be the least bit reliable.
You probably will not ruin anything or any module to try.
You can use DDR PC3200, however.
Tell us your model number, or the part number on the motherboard.

OK, Here's My Question.......

Experimentor said:
My eMachines Imperial Mobo has 2 slots for PC2700 DDR. Manual says max 1GB per slot. I have a 512MB in one slot and need to upgrade. Will I be OK to fit a 4GB PC2700 into one slot - expecting to only be able to access 1GB of it? Or will the "too large" module not work at all?

If one 4GB PC2700 will work to give a 1GB system, will fitting a 2nd 4GB module work OK to give a 2GB system?

I already have spare 4GB modules, and am happy to try things as long as I'm not likely to toast the system!

E
Since it's not April the First, where exactly would you find 4 (that's four) gigabyte DDR PC 2700 DIMMs to "experimentor" with? You should sell them on Ebay, if you haven't already been banned.

i mean if 2gb is enough there dont bother egttig more u really wont benefit from it except if u r using cad and stuff. and like captain said where r u gonna find 4gb of that.
Just look at what modules ur mobo can take and get 2gb which should work flawlessly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back