Looking to upgrade to Core 2 Duo processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 which uses an Intep 945PM Chipset with a Core Duo processor (slightly different from its successor). Further specs of my laptop are available here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-inspiron-e1705/4507-3121_7-31631866.html

First of all, will the core 2 duo processor be compatible with the present motherboard (i.e., will it fit into the socket and run properly w/o damaging the pMOBO)?
Secondly, is it worth the upgrade if the L2 cache is to increase from 2MB to 4MB?
Lastly, would I be required to use a different cooling assembly and if so what are all the hardware I would need to purchase for this specific proccessor's cooling. I have virtually no knowledge of cooling systems so please be as specific as possible (fan, cooling paste, know that they exist dont know how to use them).

Regardless, there should be some (better) processor out there that can fit into the same socket and have it not damaging the mobo.

Since you didn't bother to read it, in a nutshell- What you have is what you got.

cpu info:

NOTE: Your computer comes in different configurations. To determine the configuration of your computer, see Determining Your Computer's Configuration.

Processor

Processor type
Intel® Core™ Solo processor

Intel® Core™ Duo processor

L1 cache
64 KB

L2 cache
2 MB

External bus frequency (front side bus)
533 MHz or 667 MHz

System Information

System chip set
Mobile Intel 945PM Express or

Mobile Intel 945GM Express

Data bus width
64 bits

DRAM bus width
dual channel bus

Processor address bus width
32 bits

Flash EPROM
1 MB

PCI bus
(PCI-Express used for video controllers)
32 bits
x16

ok i was already aware of this information.
all i want to know is whether my notebook will function properly if i replace the Core Duo with a Core 2 Duo as per the specs of the MOBO. also whether this upgrade is worth it.

1.If you can find the cpu. Finding retail laptop cpu's and video cards is not easy.
2.Voids your warranty

I wouldn't, but up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back