Loopy graphics driver problem

By rlno1
Oct 29, 2006
  1. Hi everyone,

My old Leadtec Geforce TI4600 died recently and I've replaced it with a Gigabyte 7600 GS.

I'm having all sorts of problems installing the new drivers. If I use the installation disc I get 'Invalid Data' at the end of the installation.
    If I download the latest drivers and install them, when my PC reboots it's as if nothing has been installed and my pc prompts me to go through the same installation routine?!

I removed all the old drivers before hand. I had heard of some issue with old Leadtec products and registry security settings - not sure if that's the issue.

My motherboard is an Asus a7v8x with a via kt400 chipset.

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks in advance.
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Make sure you have a sufficient power supply. That's a big difference in cards (like GM to Mercedes)(Not to badmouth GM or anything)
  4. lplover2k

lplover2k TS Rookie Posts: 20

how much power does it needs??
  5. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

It should say on the box it came in. I'm not sure offhand. Probably between 300-450watts.
  6. rlno1

rlno1 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I finally found the issue and it was to do with an old installation of a Leadtek graphics card.

Basically I had to go to the following folder in my registry:

and set the permissions to all the VEN_??? files to allow full control to everyone.

As soon as I did this the Graphics Drivers installed without a hitch!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.