TechSpot

Loopy graphics driver problem

By rlno1
Oct 29, 2006
  1. Hi everyone,

My old Leadtec Geforce TI4600 died recently and I've replaced it with a Gigabyte 7600 GS.

I'm having all sorts of problems installing the new drivers. If I use the installation disc I get 'Invalid Data' at the end of the installation.
    If I download the latest drivers and install them, when my PC reboots it's as if nothing has been installed and my pc prompts me to go through the same installation routine?!

I removed all the old drivers before hand. I had heard of some issue with old Leadtec products and registry security settings - not sure if that's the issue.

My motherboard is an Asus a7v8x with a via kt400 chipset.

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks in advance.

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,764

3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

Make sure you have a sufficient power supply. That's a big difference in cards (like GM to Mercedes)(Not to badmouth GM or anything)

4. lplover2k

lplover2k TS Rookie Posts: 20

how much power does it needs??

5. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

It should say on the box it came in. I'm not sure offhand. Probably between 300-450watts.

6. rlno1

rlno1 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sussed!!!

I finally found the issue and it was to do with an old installation of a Leadtek graphics card.

Basically I had to go to the following folder in my registry:

HLEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/currentcontrolset/enum/pci

and set the permissions to all the VEN_??? files to allow full control to everyone.

As soon as I did this the Graphics Drivers installed without a hitch!

Phew!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.