losing connection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got Linksys wireless adapter with speedbooster, WMP54GS.

I can connect to internet but it loses a connection every few minutes. I mean I lose a connection for 1~2 sec and it automatically connects after 1~2 sec.
Because of this problem, I can't download large size files, also can't connect to any on-line games.

I tried these:

1.disable windows firewall.
2.disable authenticatioin thing.
3.format harddrive and reinstall windows
4.reinstall the adapter(and driver also).

I don't have my own router, building has it somewhere....
How can I fix this?

Thank You!

Sounds like your problem may be interference from other 2.4GHz devices or maybe incompatibility with the boost feature of the adapter, try disabling the boost feature. You may also be too far from the router. What is your signal strength?

If the router is not one that supports the speed boost feature on your adapter then that would be the reasoning for my statement about that.

If you, or anyone else has a 2.4GHz phone or other device on that frequency, that can cause this as well as many other possible problems with the connection. The reason is that 802.11b and g both use the 2.4GHz freq and are subject to interference from any other device running on that freq. To try and resolve this, you could change the channel on the router if you had access to it.

I have no wireless phone in my house.

I'm getting exllent signal all the time.

Could speed booster option cause the problem?

I didn't know about that.

I checked adapter config, sad thing is that there is no way that I can turn speedbooster option off manually.

I'm gonna exchange it to normal adapter(without speedbooster)

I will try that one.

Thanks.

the cordless phone does't have to be in your house if you are in a densely populated area such as an apartment or dorm.
As for the speedboost feature, that would depend on whether the router supports it or not. It has to support it in order for it to work and if it does not support it then yes it can cause a problem.
The problem could be as simple as needing to update the router's firmware, or the card's driver.

PS: It is very difficult to properly troubleshoot a wireless connection problem without having access to the router's configuration interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back