Lost DVI on new Gateway FPD2185W Monitor using nVidia 7800GS AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrAnsiFL

Hey guys,

I have an unusual situation and I'm hoping it might be something that just got goofed up from playing Battlefield 2 a week ago.

Basically, I was just running the game using an AGP nVidia 6600GT card from ASUS and the game and system locked up completely. I rebooted and I believe at this point I lost the use of the DVI on my monitor.

My first thing to do was see if my video card got fried, so I bought a nVidia 7800GS. Although this did not allow me to use the DVI, I did verify the video card was not the issue.

Bought a new DVI cord, still not the problem..

Unplugged the monitor and let it sit to "reset" itself. It still works fine on VGA, but not DVI :(

I next updated the motherboard BIOS and downloaded the newest drivers for my new card. Nothing is helping the situation at this point...

I can say that the system will not identify my monitor, where before it would actually list my particular monitor brand and model number. I'm not sure if this is because the VGA connection does not carry information and DVI does...the biggest issue is that because of this, I do not get XP offering me the widescreen resolutions (I cheated by making a custom resolution for the system, but it does not allow me to get widescreen resolutions in games that would otherwise offer these options).

Ok, so I've given as much info as I can and now I'm hoping that someone will tell me that there is an option that I've missed that will fix things :)

I realize the one part of this problem that I have not excluded is that the DVI port on my monitor is bad. I can't find another computer with DVI to test on.

I will really appreciate any help you guys can offer!

Brian

I should still have plenty of warranty, even though they limit it to 1 year instead of 3 like most.

I tried to get the EzTune software to identify the monitor, but it's not communicating with the computer. I realize this points towards the LCD being the problem, but the situation in which is stopped working really makes me think something else might have been goofed up. I guess I will know as soon as I can have the monitor tested on some else's system :)

Thanks again for the response. I appreciate it

Brian

SOcRatEs said:
Did you do a full removal of old nVidia drivers before installing the 7800?
Old Nvidia Driver Removal

These are drivers for your Lcd.
Gateway drivers
From your post it looks like it may well be the Lcd.
Still have some warranty?
G'Luck

Did you ever figure out the problem on this? Was it the monitor? I'm having the same problem. :( I tried a new video card and now the DVI on the monitor doesn't work, even on the old card.
--Andy

Gateway FPD2185W DVI Failure

Hello Folks.
I recently purchased a Gateway FPD2185W monitor only to have the DVI fail after only 1-day!! The VGA works fine but is not nearly the image quality of DVI. I drive this monitor with a ATI X1650Pro dual DVI output card with the intent of using dual gateway monitors. I went through the problem solving circus of using different cards, computers, cables, updating software and reloading to no avail.

After extensive web research, I firmly believe that the problem rests squarely with the Gateway monitor and not your equipment. Just type 'gateway FPD2185W DVI problem' into Google and see for yourself. That's just the tip of the iceberg. The Cable inputs for this monitor point down which places a strain on the cable and connector. When rotating the monitor, the strain is great enough to pop the cable guide on the rear of the monitor stand off.

In short, the capabilities of this monitor are awesome for the price. However, Gateway should, and hopefully will, consider a redesign of the DVI and the input connector structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back