Lost file recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salt

Today, I was watching T.V. and the lights flickered and my computer turned off and restarted, then it came to a black screen that said "\windows\system32\config\system file missing or corrupt please use 'r' for repair" So I went the recovery console route and typed a series of commands that I got from microsoft.com. But, afterwards I could get back into windows but it had me activate again. I did, and all of my games and everything is all still there but the thousands of my VERY important pictures in my documents was gone. EVERYTHING. I really really desperately need any advice anyone can give me. Please. Is there any way I can recover to a previous date? I didn't ever save a recovery point so I am FU**ED.
If there is ANY way to get it back, I don't even care about the other 300 Gigs of random **** on my comp. Just want the pictures. Thank you.

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

have you tried any data recovery software? pm your e-mail addy and i'll send you a program that I use, theres no install needed either so you have no danger of overwriting anything you will need a second hard drive to recover the files to though

A little late.

It is a little late now. I already lost all that mattered. Thanks though. The question was more along the lines of getting back what I had already lost.

Remember to Backup!

It is a little late now. I already lost all that mattered. Thanks though. The question was more along the lines of getting back what I had already lost.
Oops. No way to get the pics now. Remember to backup before doing this kind of stuff!

I sent him a copy of file scavenger don't know if he used it or not its usualy pretty good at finding deleted stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back