Lost HD space but 2 new drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikow

Hello!
I have bought a laptop with 120 GB HD. I have repartitioned it and set up FC6 and WinXP. Afterwards, I have seen with PartitionMagic that my HD (4 partitions) has only 114 GB. The rest of 6 GB appeared at two new HDs (which actually don't exist) NOT two new partitions(!). Does anyone had the same problem? Does anyone know a software to fix it?
Cheers

4 Partitions isn't out of the ordinary.
1 XP
1 /
1 /home (or some such)
1 swap

Where are you seeing the "new HDs"? Windows won't be able to read your linux partitions without 3rd party help.

Hello SNGX1275!
Thanks for Your reply! Well, I have used Partition Magic 8.05 and there I found a HD1 with my 4 partitions and a HD2 (which actually doesn't exist because I have only one harddrive built in) with 5 GB and a HD3 with 1 GB. I have tried to delete these two (unallocated space) and hoped to find the space again on my "HD1". But it didn't work.
Cheers

Hello SNGX1275!
Windows XP disk management shows only one harddisk drive with four partitions (two "unknown" linux partitions, one NTFS for windows and one FAT32 with about 90 GB). But I'm still missing 6 GB. Windows doesn't show me any additional drive/partition/space.

nikow said:
Hello SNGX1275!
Windows XP disk management shows only one harddisk drive with four partitions (two "unknown" linux partitions, one NTFS for windows and one FAT32 with about 90 GB). But I'm still missing 6 GB. Windows doesn't show me any additional drive/partition/space.

Perhaps your lost space is being used by windows for either swap files or for Windows restore DATA. Windows allocates what it wants for those things and I generally disable all of that crap roughly 5 minutes after setting up windows.

which is why I am not 100% positive that is your problem as I do that to everything so I never actually see how much space windows uses for that stuff.

Hello SNGX1275!
Do You think that the reason for this lost space is because of the recovery DVD? The seller told me that for this Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo there might be a reserved space for low-level drivers.
Thank you for Your help!
Niko

No, those would have to be on their own partition, and would show up in Device Manager. I don't think there is really anything else we can say on this. Perhaps post a screenshot of how it looks in Device Manager and then another one with how it looks in Partition Magic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back