TechSpot

Lost password

By joshuarowley42
Mar 16, 2005
  1. Umm, i am an *****... forgot my XP pro logon password, what should i do to reset it, i dont want to lose any data though!!!
    help....

Thanks!!

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

3. joshuarowley42

joshuarowley42 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 36

i am the administrator....

4. vhunter

vhunter TS Rookie Posts: 84

Then log in as another administrator. If there isn't one, well, there's supposed to be.

5. joshuarowley42

hmm, there isnt one... so i should... umm.... just cry??

6. vhunter

Let me guess... You changed the name of the default "Administrator" account to your current login?

7. joshuarowley42

You go it... and i cant remember the password... and no other accounts... not even the guest one...

8. Technel

Technel TS Rookie Posts: 24

When you install Windows XP Pro, I believe you set up a root account and a regular, admin account. If you boot into safe mode you should be able to log in to the original admin account (if you set a password, you would need to know that).

There are also some tools that can overwrite your current password. Check out this article. In addition, TechTV ran a great feature on password recovery. You can find the links here.

Good luck!

9. joshuarowley42

Cool thanks alot mate... will try that...

10. vhunter

My, that must really suck. Well, your best bet would be to, actually, hmm... Have you tried googling the subject? I don't think that there would be any way around it. Maybe RBS would know.

11. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.