Lost web view in Explorer open windows running 2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

videobruce

I have lost the default web view in explorer open windows.

When I open a folder or drive the left pane ins't there. The whole width is the directory. I can change it back, but I have to go through the 'customize this folder' wizard and create a html template to do it and it is only for that view. When I view another drive or folder, I have to do the same thing. I also notice it creates 2 additional entries (hidden) in each folder: folder settings and desktop.ini!

I looked under winnt\web and the gifs for the backgroung wallpaper in that web view are there. On another system they got deleted and the same effect happened, you don't have the left pane as a preview window for images or descriptions on files.

I hope anyone reading this will know what I'm referring to.

There's probably a simpler way however the fast and straightforward is to log off, log on as another account that is in the administrators group, delete your profile, and then log back on again and your new profile for your usual account will be recreated. all settings will return to defaults. you might want to back up the profile first to another location to save desktop shortcuts, favourites, etc...

The simpler (IMHO) way is to open registry editor (Regedit) and delete keys from HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ software \ microsoft \ windows \ currentversion \ explorer \ streams

uh.. I hope I remembered it at least partially correctly. There should be some, if not dozens of, keys, each of them representing the look of some particular directory. Just delete them (except the default), restart explorer and things should be ok again.

Mictlantecuhtli: I loved your avatair!

Oh good, deleting keys in the registry, just what I love to do!

In case it doesn't work, may I have your home address?
(just kidding).

There are 150 entries under that key give or take)! You want me to delete ALL of them except 'default'? How about the '<nil>' and 'desktop' entries? Also, how about the 'StreamMRU' folder right above 'Streams' folder? That seems to be a duplocate listing of all those under 'Streams'.

Phantasm66:
I think I liked your idea better (not by much though). I am loged on as a administarator with no other profile.

:haha:
Now what's wrong with deleting registry keys?
(famous last words)

Having 150 entries there just means you have browsed through 150 directories with Explorer. You'll need to delete those if you don't want the OS to remember the views. Leave null and desktop keys there, as well as the 1st entry (which should be the 'default').
Honestly, I don't remember all the details anymore - I don't use that kind of operating system.

PS. I live in Mictlan :giddy:

"I don't use that kind of operating system."

Was that because you deleted all those keys?????????

I created another user with administartor privilages and the problem is still there. You can't delete the administartor account, correct?

Originally posted by videobruce
"I don't use that kind of operating system."

Was that because you deleted all those keys?????????
No. I don't know from where to start so I just say I have better operating systems.

I re-loaded the O/S over everything and the problem seems to have been repaired, though that wasn't what I wanted to do, but got tried of putting up with it, so I did.
I also re-installed SP3 on top of that since I didn't know if re-installing the O/S would wipe out SP3 that I had in there before.

I have noticed a hidden folder that appeared a week or 2 ago (not sure of when). I ran the virus checker with the latest update and it comes up negitive. I also ran Ad Aware and negitive also.
BUT..........there are 4 idenical folders in the root of each of my 4 partitions of both drives called "INCINERATE" which are making me extremely nervous.
The folder is marked as hidden and it is greyed out so I can't change it.
There are 2 entries in them. One is a "destop.ini" file with this registry key in it:
[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={23CE4E06-2508-11D0-1977-0734210ABE0B}
The other is a blank "info.shr" file.

Any ideas? It seems like a coincicence having a desktop.ini file hidden in a folder called incinerate!

The 'incinerate' folders are System Mechnanic's version of the recycle bin! They can only be deleted from within the program!
Lousy program, I will stick to Ontrack System Suite!
Too bad I deleted the program before I found this out!
BUT, nice to have a 2nd bootable HD with the ability to delete ANYTHING in the other drive, hidden or otherwise (and yes I did have show all files checked and show hidden files in folder options)!

Deleting a program sounds like you didn't uninstall it properly, so there might be some files from it still in use that prevent deleting that directory. Another OS is always good in these cases :)

The problem is back!!!! No idea why.

Someone suggest upgrading to IE6 (though I never use it) so I downloaded and installed IE 6 with the update after that.

Nothing different, didn't fix anything, still no left pane!

This is a belated reply but I just found this forum from Google when I discovered INCINERATE folders. I recently installed System Mechanic on trial, didn't like it, and removed it correctly (via Add/Remove Programs) but clearly the Incinerate folders remained. I just highlighted them and hit the delete key. After warnings about them being System Folders I duly sent them to the recycle bin. I then immediately restarted Windows (ME) without problems. Should anything happen they can be restored from the recycle bin in Safe Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back