Lots of BSODs - HDD too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ouwedibbes

Lately I've been running into quite a lot of BSODs, but my previous post (https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic56410.html) did not gave me any working solutions.

It might have to do something with an overheating HDD, Everest shows that the temp of my FUJITSU MHS2060AT is 61 °C (142 °F). Fabric standards say operating temperature should be between 5 to 55 degrees. CPU is stable at 31 degrees (P4 Mobile, idle). These values do not change much over time, this bothers me, my sensor is not really updating frequently I guess.

Did the mentioned memtest86+ (before start posting minidumps), passed 16 times, no failures. Tried the pagefile trick, same problems.

After the BSOD and the dumping of memory, the laptop (Dell C840) restarts, fails in BIOS (latest version, A13) with the following message:

Primary hard disk drive not found (HDD)
Fixed optical drive not found (DVD)

No bootable devices - Strike F1 to reboot (results in beep & same message), or F2 to go into settings (shows that HDD and DVD are not present).

A hard reboot will result in a normal startup (as quickly as always, <30 sec)

My knowledge of minidumps is very limited, could you please tell me what they suggest to be the problem? Any requested additional information will of course be supplied!

Attachments

• Minidump 4.zip
    97.2 KB · Views: 7
Looks to be a network problem. The two most recent are caused by RTL8139.SYS - a network adapter driver, and one also references Symtdi.sys - a Symantec Network Dispatch Driver. Both have a bugcheck of D1. See if you can update these drivers.

x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

Thanks for the quick results, but I could not find these files on my system, nor could I recall that I ever installed a Symantec product. Very strange, as you found the SYMTDI.SYS to report an error, which is a file that comes with Symantec products (I looked it up, it causes BSODs with several users). So the minidump is refering to files I can't find. I will try to update my network card driver, although Windows is not reporting any errors, and I was just so glad I finally found a driver version which did not resulted in Device Manager error messages. Would replacing the networkcard by an updated version, with of course different drivers be an option? And what about the temperature of the HDD? Measurements ranged from 57 to 63°C.

I think I've checked the wrong sodding ones (thought they looked familiar).

I've just had a quick look and it does seem to be a HDD problem, I'll have another go in an hour or so. That is hot for an HDD though.

All the dumps are the same, a bugcheck of F4 and probably caused by csrss.exe (the crucial process - see below).

This could be a HDD problem or a controller problem. Are the HDD and DVD on separate IDE channels?

ouwedibbes said:
Someone fixed the DVD IDE connection, which wasn't connected correct.
What was the problem here, and what was done?

0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message. One user, who experienced this on return from Standby mode on Win XP SP2, found the cause was that Windows was installed on a slave drive.

The problem with the DVD player connection was due to bad installation (by previous owner), the computer repair shop technician reattached the IDE cable, this wasn't done properly before. After this adjustment the BSOD kept coming, specially during web browsing with IE. Switched to Firefox, far less BSOD's.

Symptoms: The laptop starts reading (or writing) the HDD intense, lots of communication with the HDD, and then freezes, pops up the blue screen an restarts after some minutes, hangs after POST with the mentioned message about bootable devices.

HDD temperature starts at 40 °C, and climbes to 60 °C. Laptop feels hot as well. The laptop is now running at that temperature for at least an hour and cools every once in a while.

I can't tell you whether XP is installed on a slave drive I think. The HDD is split in two partitions, the first (primary?) partition is used for all the XP system files, second one (D partition) for other files (MP3). Standby function is switched off.

HDD is not a slave, there is no jumper, so that would means it operates as Device 0, alternatives are Device 1 or Slave. Does this bring you closer to a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back