TechSpot

Low FPS for no apparent reason...

By Gsus6677
Jun 15, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A few months ago I realized that my FPS in some games began to drop drastically. It was just recently that I decided to play Half-Life 2 again and found that my FPS was around 10-14. I had also noticed the FPS drop in World of Warcraft where I started to get 3-15 FPS. I began to think and though that my problem was just a GFX Card going bad. So I bought a new Realtek A400 Geforce 6800GT. I pop in the new card. Did not help in the slightest. At this point I am about like this little guy ---> :hotouch:. I then think that maybe it's time for more RAM. So I buy another 512 stick and pop it in to make 1G of RAM. No dice. Now I am like :hotbounce:. My cousin says he has the same problem, where Windows runs fine, but when a game loads it seems to load into a bad spot on the stick. So I take out my old stick and leave only my new stick. Doesn't help. So then I feared that the Virus' had gotten me so I took the drastic route and formatted both of my HD's and started from scratch. All new drivers and updates were installed...and still. Not working. So at this point I am punching pillows and getting snappy. Here is what my system looks like and maybe if you find somthing that seems to be a weakspot, or some other part that gradually dies...please inform me.

My System:
    Mobo: MSI 865PE Neo2-PS (MS-6728 v2.0)
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4E 2.8MHz (3.5 x 800)
    RAM: Dual 512 PC2700 333MHz
    Video Card: Realtek A400 Geforce 6800GT

Funny thing is, all the online benchmark type tests I take say my computer is perfectly capable of running the games I was talking about.

PS: The HD that my Windows info is on is alittle old...If that was wearing out could it cause problems with games??? :dead:

2. kol_indian

kol_indian TS Rookie Posts: 368

Hello and welcome to techspot :wave: :wave:

this could be the problem, inbetween do u have any RAM optimization software running in the system.

PS: also please do search the foreum there are lot of similar post with lot better answers, please dop check. :grinthumb

3. Mega9350

Mega9350 TS Rookie

Hey im having the same problem but only when im playing World of warcraft. I was using a Radeon 9600xt and i was running wow perfectly but recently my fps went low for no reasons. i thought my video card was broken or something so i bought a new graphic card(NX7600GS geforce 7 (agp)) and my problem was still there i updated my drivers took all the windows updates and i have the lastest direct X. I thought the new card i bought was broken too so i had a refund and i bought a N6800GT today and i still have the same problem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.