Low Fps In Games Using Direct3d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasper

Before I start off with my problem I would like to say Hi to everyone on this forum. This is my first time on here.

Alright.. now onto the problem. I am getting extremely low frame rate in any game that uses Direct3D. My frame rate varies throughout the game , and it is very unstable.In many parts of any game my frame rate comes to a crawl dropping down to 10 - 20 fps. My frame rate drop is even worst especially in heavy action. I've tried lowering resolution , details , texture ect... but no luck at all. Any game that uses OpenGL will run perfectly at highest res and highest settings possible.

I have a:

AMD Althlon 2000+
512 DDR RAM
Geforce 3 Ti500
Windows XP PRO

I have the latest DirectX version (8.1 ver 4.08.01.0810) I have tried reinstalling DirectX but had no luck in doing so.
I believe it is a problem in one of the settings... but I have no clue what it is... help would really be appreciated.

Hi Wasper,

I'm new here too & this looks to be a very informative board. Lots of great tech posts. So welcome from a fellow newcomer. :D

I notice you are still on & I'm no 'expert' but maybe I can help or get some more info from you for others to help. ;)

Are you using DX8 w/TnL Hardware in these games, or just DX8? Which particular games? Do you have the latest BIOS? Are you running any 'overclock' programs on the card? Who made the card? What driver are you using?

Suggestions: Try TnL if you haven't, check for updated BIOS, update the video driver to nVidia 28.32 & insure the card is staying cool. :)

HTH,

Yes I have tried T&L but it makes no difference. I have a Visontek Xtasy 6964 Geforce 3 Ti500 I am using Drivers 2.3.1.2.
I am not sure what BIOs version , how do I check that?
No I am not running any overclock programs.

It's basicly with any games that runs Direct3D. I've tested the following games : Giants:Citizen Kabuto , Operation Flashpoint , Magic and Mayhem: The art of magic , Z:Steel Soldiers , Sim Theme Park, Deus EX, and Diablo2 (all which uses Direct3D). I have experience major drop in frame rate in certain areas espcially during heavy action with these games. As I have mention this only happens in games that uses Direct3D games that uses OpenGL runs perfectly on highest res and highest settings. Tho it might be the video card , it seems as if it's more of a problem with the settings.

Please help me out this problem is a really ruining my gaming experience since most games does use Direct3D.

Welcome to 3dspotlight forums, both of you

Try running dxdiag (from run prompt in start menu).
Click to diable Hardware acceleration for Direct3d and then enable it again. If this doesn't work then try doing it with a reboot inbetween. Also try searching the information previously posted on the board. You will most likely find that many different solutions have been applied in different situations and you will probably even find the solution to your problem. Have you switched the card from an older video card or is it the one that came with the system?

If you had old detonator drivers installed for your last card then you will need to remove the drivers completely and then install the new ones... I would recommend the reference drivers from www.nvidia.com rather than brand specific.
Also to completely remove detonators before reinstalling check out the "detonator destroyer" available at www.guru3d.com which removes all the rogue files that the nvidia uninstall leaves behind... ;)

Wow! thanks guys! this seems like a very helpful forums. I am going to try all of ur suggestions and see if any of them will work... I'll update you guys later :)

Arris this card came with my system.

Guys I have bad news , I've tried everything in my knowledge to try to figure out what's wrong , I even downloaded nvidia's 28.32 drivers with no luck , I tried turning down the mipmaping detail lvl to best performance , and still had no luck.

Do you guys think I should get a new card replaced? , since this is a new computer and the warranty still covers me.

;)

Hey, i'm new to this place, but I may have a solution to your problem.

Firstly, people (like you) sometimes do experience low FPS and sluggish performance with certain system configurations (motherboard, cpu, etc.)

It could also POSSIBLY be a setting in your systems bios, try fiddling with video settings.

Also, I found that programs like Geforce Tweak Utility and RivaTuner actually SLOWED down my performance in games (OpenGL & Direct3D) and showed no graphical quality increase.

Also, finally, check you Anti-Aliasing settings (they can kill your framerate heaps), goto the video card settings and set it to 'Auto'.

Good luck,

:grinthumb

Under very few circumstances should a system like yours be brought to its knees.

But I was thinking that maybe you have Full Screen Anti Aliasing (FSAA) enabled. It only works in Direct X and should hit your performance really hard. Disable it if it is enabled. If it is already disabled, then enable it and disable it again.

From the problem you described, it sounds exactly like problems you'd expect if your CPU was not fast enough. You may want to make absolutely certain there are NO programs running in the background. If you are using Windows 2000 or XP, minimze the game you are playing and right click on the task bar. Choose "Task manager" and then click on the "Processes" tab.
Look at your other programs and see if they are stealing any CPU power from you. All other programs should be idling except the game you are playing.

As a last resort, you might want to check out windowsupdate.com and/or flash your BIOS to the latest version. There could be an incompatiblity between your devices and your system BIOS.

From the problem you described, it sounds exactly like problems you'd expect if your CPU was not fast enough. You may want to make absolutely certain there are NO programs running in the background. If you are using Windows 2000 or XP, minimze the game you are playing and right click on the task bar. Choose "Task manager" and then click on the "Processes" tab.

Sorry for the late update guys.

The anti aliasing is off , but the game still runs like crap. Dude my point of this entire thing is that my video card runs fine with OpenGL but not with Direct3D , in Open GL I turned all of the settings up to highest possible , and the game still runs liquid smooth. While with direct3D i turn everything down and I still get the low frame rate.

Hummm... there might be a incombatibility, but I am not sure about that. I am getting my video card replace soon. I'll update on what happens.

Just a quick question - what game are you trying to play in D3D? I mean, if it's the original Unreal or something then yes - it runs like crap. If it's something like Dungeon Siege well I only run about 50 fps on it myself with max settings. Just curious as to what games you're running in D3D.

Also - what mobo? Might need VIA 4-in-1 update (does this apply to D3D?)

LNCPapa

low fps

Wasper I was having the same problem as you I had a xtasy 128 mb agp card by ati spendy supose to be good ya right!!! I put my back up card in its a 3d force 64 meg card nvidia before my fps rate was 6-9 while playing links 2003 I also have xp pro OS now its 31- 38 try a differant card oh and yes this card was only 3 months old and was the second one put in the first burnt up from cool fan trouble on the card its self hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back