Low FPS in WoW; CSS; DODS on high end machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, im recently having an issue with extremely low FPS in all the games I play for no apparent reason. I built this computer about 6 months ago equipped with the following...
intel p4 3ghz with 800mhz FSB
Gigabyte mainboard (AGP 8x)
nvidia BFG 6800GT OC 256mb card (AGP 8x)
1GB DDR pc3200 RAM (2 512 running dual channel)

When i first built the computer it ran like gold, i mean 100% flawless... 60-100FPS in even the most demanding games.... Recently, however, im getting 10-20FPS in major cities in WoW... 10-20FPS when im playing CS source... and i noticed when i Alt+tab to check CPU usage when im running these games it seems abnormally high... I used windows selective startup to make sure i have no background apps eating my memory... I know this video card is enough beef to handle just about any game out there with high performance, so it cant be an issue with that... Could any computer Guru's please help me figure this out?? I dont know where to start in figuring this out. Thanks

Mitch

Alt+Ctrl+Del again and see which process shows high CPU usage. When you identify it, end the task if possible and see if the condition improves. If so, you have indentifed the perpetrator. :)

That is one thing to try.

tried

i tried closing all the programs, and just about every "standard procedure". still low FPS... ive noticed my processor heats up to around 93+ degrees after playing a gfx intensive game for a while... but the loss in FPS occurs even before it heats up... anyone have any suggestions other that bring it to a professional??

You could try this

My friend has 2.5gb dual channel ram (2x 256 and 2x1gb) and a Geforce 6800 ULTRA OC 256mb card with a 2.4ghz cpu. He could run just about anything max settings flawlessly, but then all of a sudden he would get hang ups and his computer slowed down rreal fast, his cpu usage was way up there. Turns out he downloaded af ree version of Mcaffee he got through Dell and for some reason it conflicted with something. I uninstalled that and everything went back to normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back