Low FPS ( Need Help )

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerzjohn

Hey, ive had Low FPS on some games on my computer. Ive been told its my RAM or Graphics card.

My ram = 512mb
My Graphics card = Inter (R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family.

I have about £250 to spend all together any suggestions what i can do to improve my performance?

I atleast want to run Counter strikes source smoothly.

So my final question is do i need to change my graphics card and RAM?

Cheers,

Also another question:

Does RAM improve my Frame Per second?

Getting a proper graphics card in there will make more difference than pretty much anything else.
You haven't said what mobo you are using so am i correctly assuming the Intel is on-board?
If that's the case, and your mobo has a graphics slot then improvements can be made.

Hello, farmerzjohn, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your question, let us know your cpu and motherboard then we can then help you get better fps :)

Ok sorry about that i forgot here ya go :)

MOTHERBOARD:
Intel Corporation
Model: D915GAG AAD27018-301
Chipset: Intel i915P/i915G ( REV: B1 )
South Bridge: Intel 82801FB (ICH6)
LPCIO SMSC LPC47M182

CPU:
Name: Intel Pentium 4 519k

if you have £250 you could make a new pc which will laugh at your current one ;) chances are your eMachine's power supply will blow eventually and take the motherboard out then you have to get a new pc anyway.

you could upgrade your current pc if you wanted but personally i would keep the screen, keyboard etc and put together a new pc :)

do remember though, at the end of the day it's your decision and we're here to help you :)

The problem with that idea is that a new copy of windows will be required as the e-machine version will even complain with a new graphics card. I.e. the card would need to be removed temporarily during the installation process.

oh yeah, i forgot about windows :blush:

can you upgrade emachines? i wasn't sure whether pc's like that can be upgraded or not because they don't like it

farmerzjohn said:
I have about £250 to spend all together

Ok so basiclly i should just buy a whole new computer? But keep Keyboard, moniter, mouse etc ? If so where can i just buy the tower ?

Hey now, your computer isn't worthless. It is capable of being upgraded. You have a 16 speed PCI-E slot capable of holding the fastest video card possible if you so choose, but you only have 250 pounds so lets work with that.

Memory ₤67.00
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=217959
Video Card ₤97.00
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=521951
Power Supply ₤59.00
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=143949

With a bit left over for shipping.

You get two GB of memory because gaming machines need that much.

The video card sets the price/performance mark.

You will need a new power supply because the original one is going to break and probably kill your motherboard.

I have a much older Pentium IV with an older video card and it's capable of running Source with very fluid frame rates. You should be very happy with this upgrade.

OH Yeah! If after you have calculated the shipping fees you still have money left over, you might consider a larger power supply something in the order of 550-600 watts instead of the one I've linked, so you can move it to your next computer. There will be a next computer. Your video card will also transfer to the next computer, but your memory will not.

After you get the parts, you first need to install the memory and the power supply. Install the memory in the first and third slots. The first slot is closest to the processor and of course the third slot is two slots over from the first. Retire the old memory. You can use it if you want if it's two 256MB dimms, but it may not be compatible with your new memory, and you will not need it. If you have just a single 512 MB dimm don't reuse it! Power up your machine. Your computer will adjust to the new memory as it boots. Download the newest driver for your video card. You will also need to have dot Net version 2 installed if you go with a Radeon video card. Install dot Net version 2 and then uninstall the old driver for your old video card and shut down your machine. While the computer is off install the new video card. Now reboot and get into your motherboard BIOS. You may have to push Esc and then Delete as your computer starts up to access your BIOS. If you get to the Windows is starting Screen without getting into the BIOS then you will have to allow your computer to fully boot before you restart your computer and try to access the BIOS again. While in the BIOS you should disable the onboard video device, and set the video selection to PCI-E 16. Don't go willy-nilly in your BIOS and change things. Change only what you need to change; save the settings, and get out. After your computer boots it will find new hardware, so cancel any attempts by Windows to install the driver. Use the driver you downloaded to install your new video card. Reboot.

That mobo only has pci-e x1. A decent graphics card will not work in that.

Attempting to do so will be a complete waste of money.

Have a look at the mobo spec's in the link in my post number 12 and read it all carefully.

Quoted from my link - Two PCI Conventional bus connectors
One PCI Express x1 bus add-in card connector

emachinemobo.jpg

1 = pci-e x1
2 = No pci x16

The board may or may not have a x16 slot fitted to it. Have a look at it and see for yourself before wasting any money.

No Sir! The spec you read was refering to an additional 1X slot, but there is also a 16X slot on the board. I read what you read, but I also went into the Technical Product Specification sheet and did some further research and found that the large slot is actually a 16X slot on page 13 of the technical spec product sheet.

But if you are correct and the 16X PCI-E slot is missing then yes an upgrade would be a waste of time and money for this board.

The picture speaks for itself, it being the emachine version of the board and not the one Intel sells as a separate item, means it is far more likely to not have the x16 slot.

What we need now is to have farmerzjohn remove the side panel of his pc and physically look to see if a x16 is fitted to the mobo or not.

Until such time as we have an answer from him to say he has done so, all we can do is speculate.

What we need now is to have farmerzjohn remove the side panel of his pc and physically look to see if a x16 is fitted to the mobo or not.

Until such time as we have an answer from him to say he has done so, all we can do is speculate.

Correct rik. We've done our job, we need him to do is.

Regards Jase :)

Jase: Please stop making useless posts that don`t contribute anything to the thread.

Trying to post as much as possible while not actually helping, doesn`t make you look good and won`t help members to have confidence in what you say.

I know you`re very keen to help and that is to your credit. However, a little thought before posting will go a long way in increasing your reputation around here.

Regards Howard :)

I most sincerely hope I didn't fudge this up. I found this on ebay.uk:

e0ce_1.jpg

It is a picture of an actual Emachines Intel D915GAG motherboard, but farmerzjohn will have the last say on this matter. Please let me not have encourged you to wasted your money!

This is a closeup of the important stuff:

e0ce_1closeup3.jpg

Sorta looks like a PCI-E slot is there! :D

I did a bit of searching for an Intel or ATI chipset motherboard that supports pentium IV, PCI express and DDR400 just in case I'm 100% wrong and man are they hard to find or stupidly expensive!

The ASRock 4COREDUAL-VSTA is an example of that kind of motherboard. It's neither hard to find nor very expensive. :)
As for the OP's problem, his mobo has a PCI-E x16 slot, as said here. So no worries there.
As for the parts, here are my recommendations:
Gecube X1950XT 256MB 256bit GDDR3 Dual DVI AGP Graphics Card - £119.98
inc VAT
Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2) DDR PC3200 CL=3 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 128Meg x 64 - £64.99
inc VAT
Antec TruePower Trio 550W PSU - With 3x 12v Rails and 120mm Fan - £67.03
inc VAT

Grand Total = £252 and shipping is free on all items. It'd give you a nice PC and the PSU would also give you the option of upgrading to a more powerful graphics card and CPU in the future, since it gives out a whopping 42A on the +12V rails combined. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

yes Rage_3K_Moiz we know the original Intel Motherboard has the PCI-E 16X slot. The problem is that the OP has an Emachine and they may have included a version of the board that negects that slot making both yours and my suggestions expensive, useless and moot.

Nice find on the parts. :)

Ohh, I looked at the ASRock 4COREDUAL-VSTA and it can use both PCI-E and AGP cards at the same time. It can also use DDR or DDR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back