Low power video card under 25 watts

harry66

Hi everyone ,
Im in search and help, im looking for a video card with low low power requirements for hp dc 5700 or 5800 something like that , low profile computer with 240 watts power supply , thats terrible ,but that the way it is, this is my computer for my tv not my primary one.

Anyways my present card is old gt 310 it works but the fan getting loud and im seeking another card ,even one without a fan. Geforce website says req 300 w 19 v or maybe to 25 v something like that . I purchase msi gt 710 2 gig the req are the same but didnt work.. maybe it needed more juice I dont know

do you think a 610 gt would work or something else? The gt 310 that I got used its old and hard to find, I dont know to much about Radeon line of lowpower and fanless stuff .The new cards now req less power these days but still in the min 300w and im just below that.. damm.

I would get rid of it but I kind of like it. 3.0 dual 4 g does the trick but wish to be able to do some light to med gaming . Anyone could suggest video card that would be great tytyty cheers .

I don't play games but replaced my GeForce 210 passively cooled card because of some glitches with Windows 10. As a replacement I chose the Radeon HD6450 again passively cooled. It works fine with W10 and the only downside was that installing the drivers and software took forever. I've seen a post giving its peak power consumption as 26w.

Thanks I read good thing about this card , I think so far this is my best choice if I can get one for the right price , knowing my luck the gpu probably worth more than the computer lol . thanks cheers from Canada

I don't do expensive graphics cards. It cost about £28 and the model was the Sapphire Radeon HD6450 (Passive) with 1Gb DDR3 ram. There are other options like one with 2Gb ram and another that has GDDR5 ram (whatever that is).

Yes ill look into that thanks ,but im still in the jam but ill repost question about the gt 210 310 and 710 ,

I wonder if you could buy a modern low profile - like a GTX 1050 TI which is now out on low profile cards and then limit it to stay under 30watts or so - perhaps MSI Afterburner could underclock to a safe level...

Its out of my price range , I was thinking more like $40 -$50 max on a card and the whole computer maybe worth $50 .
but maybe I need a bigger PS , then I would have more option to upgrade , another mystery not sure what type of PS fit in it , but thanks for your tip .

Hi , hey thats a very good idea , its a little late for that a the moment because I sold the 710 last month .So your thinking the braket maybe required because it wasnt sitting in the slot properly ?
I did try that calcular ty , neat little tool , it was fine it was below 200 w thats even trying with gt730 , but I tried with gtx 650 and it would be the under 200w still but we know that a gtx 650 requires more than 300w ,
I heard the 75 w requirement maybe a standard , but this HP board not sure if support 75 w maybe it does .
I need another card just not sure which one to get 210 610 or 710 or even 730.
the 310 is 512mb and works im just wondering if the 1 gig or 2 gig card would be a issue requiring more power to the slot on this cheap MB ?
But at the moment I think ill buy used one when I find one , on this trial and error because I dont have the money to throw around ..
ive read on line there many peoples like myself are banging there heads with no hope small factor pc . I guess there meant for work not play for the office workers .now I know .I just need for light to med gaming now and then , the 310 works but not greatest but im ok with that , I just like the idea of a small computer in my living room instead of a tank with fans running and the HP is very silent .
Your suggestion about the bracket puts me back in the market again lol for a video card thanks for your time and help

I broke down and bought a new card. Key to getting it right was MEASURING. Half of the cards were too tall.

As to PCIe standard - the slot is supposed to deliver 75 watts - that does not mean that is 'good' for the PSU. I usually leave myself at least 15% leeway - so if my components need 200 watts, I need a PSU with more than 235.

If your PSU is 220 w. then I would limit to around 185 w.

Sounds about right , it make total sence to me too I agree with you thanks for sharing that with me , I may brake I buy another card soon or another spare computer lol to add to the pile .
did your card come with the bracket ? I heard sometime those are extra .
I think that maybe my problem it wasnt sitting down properly .
thanks again I got to run take care zoooom

The HP 5700 isn't much of a computer by current standards so as you say it's difficult to justify any extravagance. You know the 310 worked and there's sure to be some turning up on eBay that would be suitable for you. If you have Windows 10 be very cautious about the GeForce cards you are considering. Replacing the PSU doesn't seem a good idea to me if you are short of money. When you've replaced a few major items you might as well have got another computer.

I resolve any future issues , I park it in the closet as a spare , and replace with i7 870 ,4gig ram ,gs8400 that will be replacing 500 w ps , fresh win 7 extra clean unit for $120 ,im very happy with this find ,much better than hp 5800, except I cant get the sound going , maybe in due time or support from others.
Maybe I need more intel drivers and I did all win updates , it does showing thats its working by the noise level bar , and there is a software for soround sound 5.1 test the speakers did go ding dong test but didnt play you tube .I have 2.1 im wondering if I should uninstall that program ,its a neat features but my speakers are going boomboom lol.
ill try again later if im still stuck il cry for help . maybe I am now lol .thanks everyone for your support and great ideas

On my system, updates have a tendency to set my audio volume to zero. On one update, I had to connect earphones to front jack for the rear jack to be reset - weird Windows.

Yes , thats option im not sure if it has front jacks I havent really spend time on it , my dogs are distracting me , I guess im not very good at multi tasking . ill fiddle around with it later today and ty for the input

Newegg's "Shell Shocker" for today (Wed, Feb 8, 2017) is an MSI GTX-750ti w/ 1GB memory. Those draw below 50 watts, and the draw on the 1 GB model might even be a tad lower, You have about 12 hours to make up your mind!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137080&cm_re=MSI_GeForce_GTX_750_Ti_DirectX_12_N750_Ti-1GD5/OC_1GB_128-Bit_GDDR5-_-14-137-080-_-Product

Note: The card is double slot, and had HDMI, DVI-D & D-Sub ($69.95 TODAY ONLY).

(MSI is claiming 60 watts draw, & 400 Watt PSU. IMHO, they're full of it, Everybody else's same card is less than 50 watts and 300 watt PSU).

Last edited:
A 240watt PSU can support gpus without 6/8pin connectors just fine. I ran a 750ti along an i7 2600 without any problems what so ever. I even overclocked an extra 100mhz. I'm thinking it might be the motherboard or the cards not being compatible with each other. Before that, I had a core2quad paired with a gt630 and later upgraded to the 750ti using a 300 watt psu in that system. The 630 ended up dying since the dvi output somehow would display corrupted output.

Resolved I upgraded my computer and no more small factor computer.
Thanks everyone opinions and feedback , I didnt log in for a while sorry for the delay .
Happy computing

Back