TechSpot

Lower my ping rate

By Shugadadeo
Nov 5, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to go to so please forgive me if it's not.

I play counter-strike and SWG alot and I have noticed that my ping has dramatically jumped from 30 - 50 to 120 - 130 (CS) and SWG from 110-120 to 170-200.

I am running XP O/S with an ASUS A7V8X m/b at 1.6. I also have 768 of RAM. I have a DSL conection of 640k (560-580 actual).

Is there anything I should check? I checked my speed through 2wire.com speed test and it shows normal speeds. Please help!
  2. conradguerrero

conradguerrero TS Rookie Posts: 357

talk to your broadband subscriber to get a lower latency connection, which will cost more money ie business adsl.
  3. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

go here http://www.dslreports.com/tools
    Run the tweak test. It will tell you things you can change to get a little more from your connection, it usually doesn't do a lot, unless your settings are bad off.
  4. NoisySilence

NoisySilence TS Rookie Posts: 184

Sometimes an ISP's service quality can lower once they start having a lot of clients.

Ask them if they have any plans to upgrade their connections ( maybe 1mbit connections ).
  5. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

This link might be helpful to you. It tells you how to tweak your broadband connection.
  6. MaskedBurrito

MaskedBurrito TS Rookie Posts: 42

Also check for spyware using up your bandwith. Try downloading Adaware. That might help. Also if you have cable, you probably have to share bandwith with other users in your area. That could also be a cause.
  7. mightyhee

mightyhee TS Rookie

Please help

I recently got satelite internet and tried to play a game and my ping is outrageous. If you could help me lower it i would appreciate it.
  8. Condor

Condor TS Maniac Posts: 461

^ thread necromancy! =]

StormBringer avatar was the hint tehe
  9. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

Meh, its only 5 yrs old.

To mightyhee, I would like you to know that if I am not mistaken sattelite will always have a high ping time due to having to travel a long distance. I could be mistaken though.
  10. Condor

Condor TS Maniac Posts: 461

eh 5 years is old, similar to satellite Internet subscriber lol

satellite Internet... that sound high tech =] how much a month it would cost ya?

and i rarely heard people use satellite Internet , due to its many flaws?

convenience (satellite) over stability (Cable)? the choice is obvious
  11. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

Its pretty high from what I've heard. Hughes Net costs 80 a month (cheapest)

Like I said, it has a high ping time, also.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.