lsass.exe and services.exe failed to intialise

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazamaspaz

Hey,

I have a bit of a problem, I loaded my laptop and it won't work. It gets to just before the password screen and says lsass.exe and services.exe failed to intialise, it was suggested this was a virus or trojan, the problem is I have no idea how to fix it, if I could get onto my laptop that'd be fine....that I can fix, but it won't even load completely...I'm having to use my parents computer while I'm at theirs for a few days and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how I could fix it.
Please
Any help is much appreciated,
Thank you,

Caroline

services.exe indicates windows is trying to boot a service or application.

services - services.exe - Process Information

Process File: services or services.exe
Process Name: Windows Service Controller

Description:
services.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System and manages the operation of starting and stopping services. This process also deals with the automatic starting of services during the computers boot-up and the stopping of servicse during shut-down. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: services.exe is also a process which is registered as the W32.Randex.R (stored in %systemroot%\system32\ directory) and Sober.P (stored in %systemroot%\Connection Wizard\Status\ directory) and Sober.S/V (Executed from the %Windir%\ConnectionStatus\Microsoft\services.exe directory) Trojans. These Trojans allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

lsass - lsass.exe - Process Information

Process File: lsass or lsass.exe
Process Name: Local Security Authority Service

Description:
lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: lsass.exe also relates to the Windang.worm, W32.Spybot.ABDO, irc.ratsou.b, Webus.B, MyDoom.L, Randex.AR, Nimos.worm which spread via floppy disk drives, mass-mailing and peer-to-peer sharing. Please review file path for clarification of this.

you probably have a trojan horse or virus on your system. Boot into safe mode, and run your anti-virus program and anti-trojan horse programs. ( you need to run more than 1 type)

report back findings.

Hey,

Thanks, the problem is I tried booting it into safe mode and it won't even get that far. Every attempt to boot up it gets to the screen before the windows xp password screen, says lsass.exe and services.exe have failed, and then doesn't get any further.

Any suggestions?

Caroline

then your windows is corrupted, you have no choice except to format your hard disk and reinstall it. I hope you have a back up. ALLWAYS back up - preferably to a second hard disk.

ensure you download ALL updates, have an anti-virus and anti-spyware all up to date also.

Hi,

I've got my computer working now :) managed to find a a recovery disk that seems to have sorted out the lsass.exe and services.exe problems....partially at least, I'm still pretty sure there's something hiding in my computer. Spybot and xoftspy couldn't find anything, and every time I go to load adaware or mcafee virus scanner it crashes.

I've done a hijack this scan and was wondering if there was anything in here that was harmful - I know there's probably just a load of useless stuff in it. I'm not sure what else to do.

Caroline

glad to hear..... I still wouldn't trust that copy of XP. I would xfer all your important files and do a fresh install.

cazamaspaz said:
Hi,

I've got my computer working now :) managed to find a a recovery disk that seems to have sorted out the lsass.exe and services.exe problems....partially at least, I'm still pretty sure there's something hiding in my computer. Spybot and xoftspy couldn't find anything, and every time I go to load adaware or mcafee virus scanner it crashes.

I've done a hijack this scan and was wondering if there was anything in here that was harmful - I know there's probably just a load of useless stuff in it. I'm not sure what else to do.

Caroline

how do you use a recovery disc to sort out the problem? i'm having exactly the same problem and i need to go into my windows to backup my important stuffs!!!

thx for any response...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back