Lsass.exe System error after boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sWIGGUMs

Hi, I am having trouble with a PC. He tried to install a new Gfx card and ram, all seemed to be going well until the software from the card was installed. Now, after boot I get the following error box;

lsass.exe - System Error
Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the service. It may be a more recent revision than the service is aware of.

When i click ok the PC restarts, I have tried safe mode and still the error persists.
Any ideas?

Nope, no new users. I've been doing some research into this, and as far as I can see Its a virus which is a mega pain.
Don't really want to wipe the HDD (who does) as its full of this guys files, programs etc...

as it isn't your machine I guess you don't really know the history.
Back to the hardware install - could you replace the new kit with the original (if you have not done this already) and see what happens

Yeh, I have removed the new gfx card and ram. Still the same error.
Do you think this could be a virus, or a problem with the software installed?

It might be a driver issue for the gfx card - if you can boot into safe mode, go to device manager and remove all graphics card drivers.

Unfortunatly booting in safe mode brings the same error. I cant seem to do anything, and of course there are no backups.

In this situation (where booting in safe mode isn't feasible), you can create a bootable USB thumb drive with PE Builder and customize the PE with antivirus and antispyware plugins. This is a complex task that took someone I know several hours to do (for the first time), but it may be your answer. I know he used instructions from several websites to create it.

Would be excellent if there was a guide on Techspot to do this.

Can I run that symantec worm fix on an external drive. I could put the HDD in one of those caddy things and plug it into my test machine and scan the external.

sWIGGUMs said:
Can I run that symantec worm fix on an external drive. I could put the HDD in one of those caddy things and plug it into my test machine and scan the external.

Good option - and back up the data while you are at it!

Thanks for all your help so far...
Just trying the Symantec thing now.
Is there a way of using the SFC to scan an external HDD? Or does it just do the %systemroot%

Just scanned it using that symantec and it found nothing. So I am back to square one. I am scanning it with AVG and Bitdefender but I am thinking the problem isnt a virus

In my book the definitive on-line scanner is that found on the Kaspersky site at http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner - run this.
I think you are correct - this is not a virus or malware.
I think you may have to bite the bullett and do a reinstall - at least you have access to the files if it is connected to another PC - hopefully!

The repair windows option does sound like a good idea, will I need the xp key for the version of XP installed. Also with a bit of scrounging I get the idea that no files, programs or anything user based will be lost, can you confirm this before I go ahead and press the big red button?
Thanks

Ok then. Next question.
There is no Key sticker on the case, can I use a program like the Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to find the Key on the HDD if I plug it into another PC or is there a boot disk that will do the same?

Not sure if it posted my last message...
There is no XP Key located on the case, is there a program like the Magical Jellybean that can find the key on a non operational copy of XP (searching an external HDD). Or a program that will run on boot?

HAHA, yeh thanks!
Only prob being I cant get into windows to run this...
XP reboots after the loading screen. Dont see the login screen at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back