TechSpot

Lytro drastically improves the light-field camera with $1,599 Illum

By Scorpus
Apr 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It's hard to describe Lytro's first commercially available light-field camera a 'hit'. The technology packed into the strange rectangular prism piece of hardware, which allowed you to fully refocus photos after they're captured, was certainly cool, but the image quality...

Read more

2. CJ100570

CJ100570 TS Rookie Posts: 18

Looks interesting. I may snag one since the price isn't too high.

3. What kind of zoom can it do? It says it's got zoom lens, but no mention of magnification.

Neojt likes this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,060

I clearly saw a price tag of $1600. You may consider it 'not too high' for a non professional experimental camera but I'm afraid you'll be part of the minority.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  5. Neojt

Neojt TS Booster Posts: 167   +22

It does .. its a 30-250mm same has on DSLR cameras

6. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

If this behemoth is not a professional camera, then what does it make a phone camera?

ikesmasher likes this.
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Eh, I wonder how well this can compare vs DSLRs at the same price.

8. CJ100570

CJ100570 TS Rookie Posts: 18

I must be part of the minority then. $1600 isn't a big investment for me in the grand scheme of things. The 9k I spent on the 1D C was though. But then again, I'm worth it and can afford it.

9. Unfortunately this article neglects to mention this camera's amazing capabilities: it can adjust the perspective, depth of field, and focus of a picture AFTER it's been captured. That means you can screw up a photo and then fix it to look utterly professional in post processing. With "normal" DSLRs, if you screw up a shot, you can tweak it slightly with RAW format, but not much. This camera lets you change the actual photo. That's unheard of. It can also create tilt-shift effects and other unique things that don't require separate lenses worth thousands of dollars.

It's unlike anything on the market. $1600 is a steal for this.

And for the record, I'm not some Lytro employee/booster. I'm simply a tech geek with a love of photography and tech toys. This thing is exciting, but I doubt I can convince my wife to let me drop the money, sadly.

Mr WW likes this.
  10. Docus

Docus TS Rookie

Interesting... I'm glad they had the capital to pursue a second opportunity with this technology, considering their first design was so utterly weird. It looked like a kaleidoscope.