M-Audio intros the Revolution 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Just got word from M-Audio introducing their new Revolution 5.1 high-definition soundcard which is both compatible with the PC and Macintosh computers. Built upon the same architecture as the Revolution 7.1 (here's our review), the Revolution 5.1 is being aimed at gamers specifically, featuring low CPU usage and boosting most popular 3D Audio APIs including Creative's EAX.

After looking at the announcement press release, I get the feeling M-Audio has worked hard on optimizing its drivers for gaming applications, if you read our Rev 7.1 review then you know the card has the best music output out there and so, I wouldn't doubt its younger brother will want to share that, too. The new Revolution carries at $99 list price though I'd expect a lower price once in store shelves considering the 7.1 is already selling for that price.

We even managed to get a plug, too: "The Revolution 7.1 has garnered PC World's World Class Award, MacWorld's Best of Show Award, MacFormat's Editor's Choice Award, and TechSpot.com's Outstanding Product Award.".

It'll be interesting to see how it compares with the Philips Ultimate Edge soundcard I've got now. They're both Envy24 chips with 5.1 output. The Philips only has 96kHz analog output though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back