M/Soft downloads, Blaster2, Firewalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Is it wise to download ALL Microsoft Service Packs, or should we be selective? I am thinking of d/loading the latest [& large!] one. People I have spoken to have wildly different opinions, some advocate "have 'em all" others are cautious, even suspicious.
As to Blaster2, is this the same as NT Authority? & then there is SoBigF [News of this from TechNews at Washington Post]....any solutions yet on THIS one?
Thirdly, Firewalls:- what are the opinions of TS members & staff on the neccessity of having an extra one installed?, I believe XP Home already has one, but it has to be turned on, is this correct?
That's about it for now, hope the powers that be at TS don't "rap me over the knuckles" again, this time for too much content, should I be be putting forward separate messages for each subject? please tell me if that is preferred.

Personally, I download the service packs and updates. I only download the latest and greatest sp, then burn it to a cd. I find it so much faster and easier to do a fresh install from the copy on my second hard drive. I also downloaded Directx, IE6sp1, Media player, etc, etc.

I have a router, hardware firewall, so I don't feel the need to run a software firewall. Since my router only blocks incoming threats I run Ad-aware to scan for spy ware.

Personally, I download the critical updates unless it is something for Messenger(which I don't use and believe shouldn't be listed as critical) I am selective about the other updates. Some of them are useful, others I have no use for.

As for firewalls, I prefer to use Norton Personal Firewall, the main reason I chose it was because I run many other Norton products. I tested several before settling on it. I tested Tiny, The Windows XP Firewall, Zone Alarm Pro and Norton Personal Firewall. They all gave the same results when I ran Shields Up and various other online security tests. The main differences were the ease of setup of some over others, and the outgoing security differences.

BTW, in regard to your "too much content" I think its fairly accepted to include everything in one thread unless it is a completely unrelated topic.

Actually, doesn't each new service pack include the patches of the previous packs, and some new ones, which is why it supercedes them? In other words, Service Pack 4 for Win2K includes all the patches of 1, 2 and 3, and new ones?

Thanks all for your advice, I tried d/loading & installing the latest s/pack, about 30 Mb, took 3 hrs 40 mins, then right at the very end it said "unable to install" it said that there was "a fault in the script, second line, first word",....any ideas what that was all about?
Re my previous query about firewalls, I have d/loaded a Norman, [no, NOT Norton] Anti-Virus Conrol, advice please, if I d/load a Firewall from the same Company, do you think that it would be compatable with their AVC, or will I have to do a lot of tweaking? I don't want to have to do that, what's the generaral consensus, on having AVC & Firewall running together, remembering that some Firewalls have AV capabilities? I have asked "Norman", but no reply, & it's been a while, I want to get a Firewall installed as soon as possible

Maurice: MS is getting hammered right now with people trying to avoid the many worms out there that are in the public light. Try it again, it will probably go through. Might be sure to try differing hour periods- US Work hours are probably not the best hours due to small companies updating. Early evening for US either because of home users. Push comes to shove, wait a week, try again. Some days are just better than others.

As a general rule of thumb, most companies who offer both AV and Firewall products make them to work together nicely. I've seen rare exceptions. I agree with Storm on Norton, I've used their products before and have confidence in them. Some people have problems with Norton AV interfering with other programs, but any AV program runs this risk.

If you're really concerned about a firewall, you might look into a hardware solution. They're expensive, but typically pretty sound.

Hope this helps.

You all probably now this but I will post it anyway. This is how I download sp's and updates all in one download. One download all sorted and ready for use.
Enabling the Windows Update Catalog as follows:
At the Windows Update page, click Personalize Windows Update at the left,
and then Enable the Windows Update Catalog. Save your settings.
This adds the Windows Update Catalog link in the left box.
Click this link, then click Find updates for Microsoft Windows systems.
Pick Windows (your version here) in the drop-down list, click Search, take Recommended Updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back