Mac Addresses Causing Limitations On My Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast_

Hey there. I am on a network, and recently there have been limitations to my IP address and mac address, of my network card. The limitations consist of disabling my network card and IP from receiving internet access after particular times during the day.

What I want to know is...

1) Am I able to change the Mac Address on my network card?

2) Is there any other way that I can change my IP address? The network administrator has set me up with a static IP so no matter what my IP address cannot change. I'm wondering if a certain procedure or program can alter my IP, so the admin won't have control over my internet access...

Please forgive me. I rarely have problems with networks, however this limit has just came into affect for the past week. And I want to know if I am able to bypass the limits if I can change my mac address of my network card (ethernet landline - not wireless), and/or change my IP Address

Regards,
Alex :wave:

Yes, you can do all that. Whether this would actually give you any internet access is another matter.

No, I personally am not going to tell you how to get around network security. I'm sure the admin had a good reason to put these restrictions in place and if you have a problem with that, you can take the matter up to him personally.

I am pretty sure that in that situation if you have a static IP address changing you mac probably won't lift the restrictions because they are probably bound to the IP address themself.

Also as Nodsu said there is most likely a good reason for the System Admin to put those type of settings on the network and you really shouldn't be messing with it. Especially since this sounds like it is probably a network in a work enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back