TechSpot

Mac and PC connections

By Deer Dance14
Sep 27, 2003
  1. Hey everyone,
    (I wasnt exactly sure where to post this thread)
    I was just wondering if it was possible to connect a PC and a MacIntosh through a cable modem/DSL.

If its possible can you give me some suggestions please

Thanks

2. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 640

Are you wanting to share the internet? Or transfer files? I know if you just want to surf the net on both, you'll just have to go buy a router...not sure about transferring files between the two....

3. Deer Dance14

Deer Dance14 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

i just wanted to share the internet. i figured i'd have to use a router, but wasnt sure if it was possible. This isnt actually for me, its for a friend, and i wasnt sure if Mac's had workgroups and such.

thanks

4. MattG

MattG TS Rookie Posts: 140

If you buy a router, there wont be any Workgroups.

The router acts as your Gateway(door to the outside) giving all computers connectivity to the internet.

If you want to share files, that from what i hear, is a pain in the arse only because of the Mac, the PC works fine =]

5. Deer Dance14

Deer Dance14 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

okay thanks for the help everyone.

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Actually Macintosh computers using OS X 10.2 or better connect pretty easily to PCs, and I don't think its that tough to get the PC to connect to the Mac, but I'm not real sure on the second part. My sister has an iBook and I just looked it up for her how she could get to shared files on a Windows network.

Finder
    Go Menu
    Connect to Server
    and right there should be the computers on the network, and if its not there its smb://computername/sharename (may have the slashes wrong I'm going off memory here, and I had had a few beers when I looked this up). You can also use the IP address that way.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.