Mac and PC connections

By Deer Dance14
Sep 27, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everyone,
    (I wasnt exactly sure where to post this thread)
    I was just wondering if it was possible to connect a PC and a MacIntosh through a cable modem/DSL.

If its possible can you give me some suggestions please

Thanks
  2. vassil3427

vassil3427 Newcomer, in training Posts: 822

Are you wanting to share the internet? Or transfer files? I know if you just want to surf the net on both, you'll just have to go buy a router...not sure about transferring files between the two....
  3. Deer Dance14

Deer Dance14 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 30

i just wanted to share the internet. i figured i'd have to use a router, but wasnt sure if it was possible. This isnt actually for me, its for a friend, and i wasnt sure if Mac's had workgroups and such.

thanks
  4. MattG

MattG Newcomer, in training Posts: 147

If you buy a router, there wont be any Workgroups.

The router acts as your Gateway(door to the outside) giving all computers connectivity to the internet.

If you want to share files, that from what i hear, is a pain in the arse only because of the Mac, the PC works fine =]
  5. Deer Dance14

Deer Dance14 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 30

okay thanks for the help everyone.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,434   +281

Actually Macintosh computers using OS X 10.2 or better connect pretty easily to PCs, and I don't think its that tough to get the PC to connect to the Mac, but I'm not real sure on the second part. My sister has an iBook and I just looked it up for her how she could get to shared files on a Windows network.

Finder
    Go Menu
    Connect to Server
    and right there should be the computers on the network, and if its not there its smb://computername/sharename (may have the slashes wrong I'm going off memory here, and I had had a few beers when I looked this up). You can also use the IP address that way.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.