TechSpot

Mac App Store downloads are easily pirated

By Jos
Jan 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Apple's much-anticipated Mac App Store made its debut yesterday, promising to bring the streamlined process of purchasing, downloading and updating software from iOS devices to the Mac. But just a day after opening for business several groups claim to have found flaws that allow unauthorized apps to pass as legit – and it’s surprisingly simple. Some have reported that copying a paid app from someone else’s computer does the trick, while it’s also possible to obtain apps illegally from third party sites and replace some of its package contents with ones from free apps.

Read the whole story

2. Sounds like that hacking group is very concerned about the developer community and only has everyone's best interests in mind . . . sure, that's it!

3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

Actually, that sounds about right. Good observation.

4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I thought piracy was something Mac users did not do.

Isn't loading up pirated software completely antithetical to the walled garden paradigm they so love?

Maybe piracy, like viruses, does not exist in the Mac world? Weird.

5. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

This actually makes me very happy! Yes, sadistic, but oh, so gratifying!

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

Most applications I've seen on the Mac side are very easy to pirate - but as gwailo247 said, it goes against the grain of most Mac user behavior. If you're willing to pay so much for the hardware every 2 years or so (they're pretty much useless after 2-3 years) then you'll probably pay for the software you want on it. The main people I'd be worried about are the Hackintosh type of user.

7. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

If you come to think it for a moment, a bunch of developers cant fight to who knows how many hackers.
    Its like a chihuahua fighting a doberman.

8. yRaz

yRaz TS Maniac Posts: 1,025   +148

my only piracy argument is "stop making overpriced garbage and people wont want to steal it...as much."

Is there anyone who is willing to pay for district 9? I'd feel insulted if i bought the DVD...or if someone bought it for me.

I guess it is just the mac mentality that if you buy overpriced hardware it stands to reason that you are willing to buy overpriced software. Nickel and dime us with 99cent apps....IT'S BS!!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.