Mac Daddy AGP card HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterock

Hi All,
I'm looking for some help picking out the best 8x AGP video card. I'm currently running a ATI 9550 256mb which is probably worst video card I ever bought. Here are my specs
PC Chips P23G motherboard http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813185086
Currently running 1 gig of DDR400. 1gig of DDR2 533 will be here Monday
Pentium D 820
Model BX80551PG2800FN
300w PSU 10a with one open 4 pin molex
I'm running 1 CD drive, 1 40gig western digital 7200rpm on sata 150mb
I realize that PSU maynot be enough if so no biggie. I would like to try and keep it though. I'm using this PC just to hold me over untill my new build is done. I would like to be able to play my games on high settings on this PC in the mean time. Call of duty2 Half life 2. thanks in advance for the help

Well you WILL need a new PSU, but no worries, they are sorta cheap and easy to install. What is your budget, I suggest a 7600GS and if your budget allows a X1650XT, or maybe even a X1950PRO.

Wait, you CANNOT mix DDR and DDR2, they are physically differant slots, return the DDR2533, and order DDR400. I see your motherboard supports both, but you cannot use both at the same time I think, check the manual.

DDR2 vs DDR

I know I can only use one or the other. But isn't DDR2 better than old DDR. So the x1950pro is the big dog?? what kind of amps on the rail do i need to support that card oh and how many watts. I'm running only mim componets

Well, I know you can run it with a decent PSU, if you let me know your max budget i will try and find the cheapest solution including a X1950 for you. I would say 450W and about 20+ Amps, because the Pentium D is rather a power hog, and yes DDR2 is better but not by that much.

Ummmmmm

First off thanks 4 all your help. Honestly which one would u buy? I can't make up my mind. I'm a numbers man 512mb vs 256mb Shouldn't I want the 512mb... Or is the 256mb just the bomb card to have???

Peterock, i have the 7800GS and its been a blessing. a little on the expensive side but worth the upgrades as far as my situation goes. all my games play flawlessly. plus, the overclocking capabilities on the card are great.

F1N3ST said:
Well I wouldnt consider it expensive right now since its 160$!!

if he can get it for that then i would definately recommend it, i know i paid at least $25-30 more. but other than the x1950 and the 7800, these are expensive compared to the rest of the agp line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back