TechSpot

Mac Mini hardwar compatability

By Finchy
Jan 22, 2006
  1. I will soon be buying a Mac Mini off Ebay (for price reasons) as well as an Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse. I was wondering if I would be able to use my DLink Wireless network Card in the Mac, as I don't want to be paying £50 on an Airport card, although if I have to I will.

To recap: Will a Dlink Wireless Network card work in a Mac Mini.

2. PUTALE

PUTALE TS Rookie Posts: 178

as long as you can find the driver on dlink's website, then you should be fine. Check dlink's site to see if it has driver for mac OS>

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Is it a network card which connects via the PCI bus or simply an USB one ? The latter might have more chances of working.

4. Finchy

Finchy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 378

It's a PCI Card. does that Mean it won't work?
    If this means it won't work, will I have to fit an Airport Extreme card, or will I be able to use an older model. I won't be using it for games, I rarly play multiplayer anyway!

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

If you want wireless, I think the Airport extreme would be the only possible way. You can always use the Ethernet port & use cable LAN.

6. Finchy

Out of interest, what are base stations, are they like an external Airport card?

7. Finchy

You mentioned Usb before. I have found some USB2.0 Network Adaptors to externally link into a network, any advice or precations for these things?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.