Mac OS X To Gain New "Spotlight" Search Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

You will have probably heard some of these rumours flying around that Longhorn, the next version of Windows, will have some sort of cooler way of addressing data that it will move beyond files and folders and into something new and better? Well, of course, Apple has to have something up its sleeve as well if its going to compete with that. And so we have "Spotlight". Sounds nice.

When he unveiled it at last week's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco alongside Mac OS X 10.4, aka "Tiger," Apple CEO Steve Jobs touted Spotlight as a solution to the clutter of folders and files. It will take three separate technologies to perform that trick, Ken Bereskin, senior director of Mac OS X product marketing at Apple Computer Inc., told eWEEK.com. One is already built into the Mac OS X file system, and two are newly invented.

Inspired by iTunes, Spotlight will probably look something like Apple's Music Organizer on steroids. Hmm....

On one of the graphics at some computer expo, it said, "Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, Redmond start your photocopiers."

The audacity. I would not be talking about copying ideas if I was Apple.

First Xerox GUI. Now Apple's new feature Dashboard is copying Samurize, Desktop X, and Sysmetrix.

I wonder how "revolutionary" this new Spotlight feature is going to be. I am betting it is no better than Microsoft hype.

When iTunes got released for Windows, "The best Windows app ever." That port was junky. It should have been dubbed more like "The best Windows Crapp ever."

Apple's marketing department is just spitting propaganda as much as Microsoft. They are not better than one another.

Actually in this case, my opinion is that Microsoft may be better. What am I saying - of course it will be! It will be bug ridden and nasty and full of security holes, but it will certainly be cooler than "SpotTheLight!" or whatever, I am sure. Still, maybe lets just wait and see.

We can always rubbish Macs more for amusement in the mean time. I know I am certainly enjoying that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back